Rib question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john pen

Master Chef
If you were catering ribs for a large group, would you precook them, a day before short an hour or so and finish them the day of the gig ? I was thinking if I was doing that, it would be a good dog and pony show to have the smoker burning full of ribs, butts, sausage and/or and briskets

John, I've done them for parties at the firehouse a lot like that. I cook them up until I would be saucing them, then wrap and put in fridge. Throw them in the oven or back on the smoker to heat them, then glaze like you normally would. I've never had complaints doing like that.

Ribs are not made for reheating. Cook em fresh. They will hold a good while wrapped and in the insulated hot box. They do the reheat stuff about like leftover chicken which aint a good plan.

You can go past the close on the tender rib deal. Then eventually start popping out of the bones which aint good. This be especially true when trying to be held too long in the steam table section. Or if they packed high and deep in the hotbox for long periods.

Jeff, make up your mind, store wrapped or no? John, reheat with no worries, I've done it plenty of times!

Always wrapped in the hot box and brought to the scene of the crime ready to eat. Have held some 8 hrs like that. Just dont pile them over about 4 racks deep. Main culprit I have seen in regards to making mush are restaurant steam tables which of course supply continuous additional heat and really hammer the ones on the bottom after a few hours.

That's why I don't like to do ribs for a big group. I don't usually have time right before and when I try to hold them, I get fall-off-the-bone-in-the-holding-pan-ribs. Not good at all.

I have tried the cook-cool-and-re-heat a couple of times, and that seems to be the best so far, but I need to work on the how-far-to-cook deal. I am liking the take-em-off-at glaze/sauce-em time and have even considered saucing them right off the cooker, into VERY COLD sauce to help with the quick chill down. Haven't tried it yet, but I just might next time I need to cook some ribs. They'd be sauced and the re-heat would be more like grilling, I guess.

BOB

No need to do the 3-2-1 thing for eating ribs. Meat down the whole time..then wrap. Everything will work out. Pile em high and deep. Partial cookin of ribs and chicken can get folks throwed in prison camps.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom