Pulled pork and smoked chicken.........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allie

Sous Chef
for around 100 people. It will be mostly adults as far as I know. Any suggestions on how much to figure per person so we have enough? Leftovers are fine as they will be vacuum sealed.

Also we're doing potato salad and baked beans. I figured two of the large industrial size cans of beans which I'll add some smoked meat to along with my special ingredients to jazz them up. I'd love suggestions on how much to figure per person on these as well. They may buy the potato salad, I'm not sure. It's for a graduation party we're cooking for and helping with.

TIA!

Hey Allie. I like to figure about 15 sammies per butt and 1 piece of chicken per person. The beans I think you will be running short with only 2 cans. 1 #10 can of beans feeds 25 people. I would go with 3 cans if your going to "doctor" them up. Tater salad is around 6oz per person. If you want a figure on cost then just imagin your eating in a good BBQ joint. How much would you pay there. Thats a start. ;)

You can go get a copy of my BBQ catering planner from here you can set the amount per person, the number of people, etc. The planner is a freebie, use it, enjoy it.

It can also be used to calculate costs as well, if you need that ability too!

100 people served 4 Oz per meat per portion will need 46 lbs (uncooked butt) for 100 x 4 Oz portions of pulled pork or 61 lbs (uncooked butts) for 100 x 5.33 Oz portions of pulled pork.

If you count 1 chicken thigh per person, you will be doing about 5 packs of chicken thighs as well as 5 butts at 9+ lbs, (for 46 lbs or 7 butts for 61 lbs).

If you are using #10 cans of beans as Bill says you can serve 25 people per can, so for 100 people you will need 4 cans of beans.

SoEzzy said:
You can go get a copy of my BBQ catering planner from here you can set the amount per person, the number of people, etc. The planner is a freebie, use it, enjoy it.

It can also be used to calculate costs as well, if you need that ability too!

100 people served 4 Oz per meat per portion will need 46 lbs (uncooked butt) for 100 x 4 Oz portions of pulled pork or 61 lbs (uncooked butts) for 100 x 5.33 Oz portions of pulled pork.

If you count 1 chicken thigh per person, you will be doing about 5 packs of chicken thighs as well as 5 butts at 9+ lbs, (for 46 lbs or 7 butts for 61 lbs).

If you are using #10 cans of beans as Bill says you can serve 25 people per can, so for 100 people you will need 4 cans of beans.

There's all the info you need, no downloading necessary ;) :LOL:

SteerCrazy said:

Ggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! :roll: :LOL: :LOL:

Ok; from now on I plug my planner and don't quote how much to do the job! :P

SoEzzy said:
SteerCrazy said:

Ggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! :roll: :LOL: :LOL:

Ok; from now on I plug my planner and don't quote how much to do the job! :P

I've already done downloaded it once before and I've used it, works like a charm everytime!

I'm bookmarking the planner! Thank you!

This isn't a party we're being paid to cater. It's a graduation party for Les's nephew and we're just doing the cooking. For us, it's the first time we've cooked for more than 10 or so people! This is a huge deal! I really, really appreciate you guys giving me some advice. We're trying to get it all listed out so they can make sure we have everything we need before that morning. Thankfully, our friend who is also cooking with us is getting the pork from a farmer who butchers his own so we can get exactly what we need. Too many times the grocers around here have a tiny selection. We're also using a different pit.......not our small one and our friend has used it many times. I'd hate to do a cook like this not knowing the pit at all!

Thanks again!

might want to cook the butts the day or two before .. that way you can concentrate on the chicken on the day of... if you foil the butts, save all the juices, de-fat them, then pour it back into the pulled pork on the day of

Thank you all for your advice. It is greatly appreciated. I'll let you know how it goes and hopefully take some pics.

Back
Top Bottom