Profits...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary in VA

Head Chef
Ok.. lets look at this catering thing a whole different way....

how much profit should you make on a job for a said number of people... for full service on site meal.. lets say for 8 hours.. set up, feed, and take down.

75 people.. how much profit?

100 people?

200?

when I talk profits.. I mean this is what is left over for you personally after all expenses are made... such as all the food and fuel costs and any paid help ..assuming your pay is what is left over...

Gary in VA said:
How much profit should you make on a job for a said number of people... for full service on site meal... lets say for 8 hours... set up, feed, and take down.

As much as possible! :roll:

Commensurate with the work involved, the difficulty of producing quality product, the menu, and the distance involved, additional staff required, the state of the tides, etc.

Normally 250 - 350% across the board.

IMO, some things are easier and quicker to turn out, and so don't require as much profit on my part...Some folks "have" to make 300% on everything, some then even add a service charge or a gratuity on top and charge that over the total amount.

To me a gratuity is over and above what I get paid, if there are circumstances that require additional payment for additional costs, (e.g. a longer distance to travel to the gig), then I include a charge for that in the spec for the gig, and in the contract that details the agreement.

corndog said:
I think for the past few events, after the food is paid for, my partner and I have been averaging close to $50 per hour per person....and we are at most event for about 4.5-5 hrs...we don't think that is too bad...

Kevin, do you figure in your before and after the gig time?

GlennR said:
If I factor in my time a rarely make a good wage. What most of the clients and many first timers fail to take account for is the time you spend ordering or picking up food/ingredients, prepping homemade sides, and most of all the cleanup/sanitation of your equipment. I have gone back to taking small jobs as hobbies and make much more per job. But I don't do enough to handle my insurance, website, cell phone etc, etc. I break even at tax time but it's become more of a pain.

In a more direct answer, I try not to work for less than $1000/service day in profit. I do, but I try not to. Keep in mind a service day generally involves a prep day and a cleanup day so it's not really big $. Smaller parties pay service charges, larger parties get discounts. As the party size increases, the margin drops but the overall profit remains higher. Also, when I have jobs when I need help, I pay my helpers WAY more than I should. It's a fault I have never regretted.

I pretty much agree with that. I try to make a minimum 1000 when I get out... the reason I ask is that I am quoting a job for 750 people and am basicly making 10 bucks a head. 750 bucks... still not too bad.

Gary,

I'd say that if you're profiting $10 a head, or $750 for the the whole job, you're doing pretty good. That's 25$ an hour if you average 30 hrs of work for the gig. Which for 75 people, that sounds about right with prep, cook time and clean-up.

Tim

Whew...sure glad I got a job. Catering is mighty stressful and time consuming. Sides I sweat a lot for a fat boy. Aint no use in adding no salt to the cole slaw once I get done mixing it. It be plenty salty enough. Charge by the head and have a stingy server for the meat ration. Less they got a bunch of money and want to let em pig out. That be 12 bucks a head with one meat. Figger 1 lb raw meat per person and when its gone its gone. If somebody arrive late tough titty so to speak:) Force into making sandwiches out of it and serve plenty of sweet beans and tater chips. That is whut folks come to eat. Forget the rabbit food.

bigwheel

I figure my cost is roughly $5-6/person and I charge $15. If less that 75 I charge $20.00 . And I am often on-site for 20-26 HOURS!!!!!!! YES BIGWHEEL< IT IS VERY STRESSFULLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom