Pig Roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill The Grill Guy

Master Chef
I have a guy who contacted me the other day for a price to do a whole pig roast. He wants chicken and sides. Any idea how to charge for whole pig?

Bill The Grill Guy said:
I have a guy who contacted me the other day for a price to do a whole pig roast. He wants chicken and sides. Any idea how to charge for whole pig?

Bill how are you gonna do the pig?? Sounds like fun, let me know when you do it and I may be able to give you a hand.

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Bill The Grill Guy":2krgsmpc]I have a guy who contacted me the other day for a price to do a whole pig roast. He wants chicken and sides. Any idea how to charge for whole pig?

Bill how are you gonna do the pig?? Sounds like fun, let me know when you do it and I may be able to give you a hand.[/quote:2krgsmpc]

I have a pig cooker too Larry. Its at my dads place. I made it out of an oil drum last year. I'll have to tow it to the site. I would be an all day cook for sure. Its in April 07 on a monday. I'll take all the help I can get.

do they want to see the whole pig, or do they just want chopped bbq. I charge more for whole hog pig pickings cause its more work. Some people say pig picking when they mean they just want bbq. In that case,
I just go with butts.

I know pigs charges more to cook on site and has it written in the contract that no ones peeks at the pig but him.....think about it ...if your looking u aint' cooking

I get $250.00 for the cook and add .20% to the total cost of the hog for handling. That helps with the cost of running the cooler and gas dough to pick the hogger up. If they want me from sun up to sun down, I add a extra $50.00 Most of my customers are real local so I start it at home and finish it on sight 2 hours before it's ready to be cut up. The hardest part of doing whole hog is boning it out. that's where my wife (Valerie) comes in. She can hack up a whole hog in no time at all, I'm not aloud to cuz ' I don't do it right ' Last hog we did she had it broke down in 45 min. took her a little over 2 hours to cut it all up into pans. That was a 200 pound porker. Also if people don't want to pony up the extra $50.00 for a on sight cook and it's more than 25 miles from home I snap a pad lock on the pit and go get some sleep in the back of some mall parking lot for about 6 hours. That way I don't get the ' can we see it? Is it done yet? Is there really a whole pig in there? Does it still have it's head? ' Deal. :LOL:

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
That way I don't get the ' can we see it? Is it done yet? Is there really a whole pig in there? Does it still have it's head? ' Deal. :LOL:

<covering ears>

nooooo the voices...the voices!!!!!!!!

OMG I still hear the people in my head asking over and over and over the SAME questions from my last cook!

never thought of padlockin' the sucka!

How many people will it be for???? guy around here gets $650 to roast the pig, then the cost of the meat... which is anywhere from $1.89 to $2.75 a pound...

a lot of the weight( fat) cooks off the pig.. if your numbers for the catering are for around 100 to 130 people.. get a 70-80 pound hog, then bone it, after it's been cleaned, then stuff it with 6-7 Boston butts, sew it up, and smoke it..... saves you the hog price, and you get more yield out of it... and your cha-ching factor is greatly enhanced :D

Back
Top Bottom