Party Planning - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > Catering Corner
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-23-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
Moderator
 
bbquzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Newark, OH & Indian River, MI
Posts: 5,011
Party Planning

I'm working well in advance for a BBQ party and want to confirm portion sizes. I'm planning on PP, slaw and mac and cheese and looking at 3 to a pound for PP and 4 oz. servings of slaw and mac and cheese??? Does that sound right? Also looking for a simple banana pudding for dessert, any good recipes? Thanks for any help or suggestions.
__________________

__________________
Buzz Price
• WSM 18.5 • WSM 22.5 • Performers, Black & Green • Q 300 Gasser
• KCBS Certified Judge #53267
bbquzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
Moderator
 
Nick Prochilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
Posts: 16,367
Re: Party Planning

3 to a pound on PP, is that precooked weight?
__________________

__________________
I hope this isn't negative!
Nick Prochilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
Moderator
 
bbquzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Newark, OH & Indian River, MI
Posts: 5,011
Re: Party Planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Prochilo
3 to a pound on PP, is that precooked weight?
3 to a lb. after cooking. I'm thinking of smoking 150 lbs, to end with 75 lbs., 225 sammies, 1/3 lb. each. The party will be about 150 people.
__________________
Buzz Price
• WSM 18.5 • WSM 22.5 • Performers, Black & Green • Q 300 Gasser
• KCBS Certified Judge #53267
bbquzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #4
Moderator
 
Nick Prochilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
Posts: 16,367
Re: Party Planning

Well they will be eating good! Sounds like the plan will work and they can take home any leftovers.
__________________
I hope this isn't negative!
Nick Prochilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:56 PM   #5
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
john pen's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Western NY
Posts: 5,084
Re: Party Planning

So is it safe to say cooked weight is 50 percent of raw weight
__________________
"I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now. And anybody that tries to change it, has to come through me. That should be all of our attitudes.
Cause this is America and a country boy is good enough for me, son."
- Charlie Daniels
john pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:45 PM   #6
Moderator
 
bbquzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Newark, OH & Indian River, MI
Posts: 5,011
Re: Party Planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by john pen
So is it safe to say cooked weight is 50 percent of raw weight
I've never tested it, but that is the word on the web
__________________
Buzz Price
• WSM 18.5 • WSM 22.5 • Performers, Black & Green • Q 300 Gasser
• KCBS Certified Judge #53267
bbquzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:18 PM   #7
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
bigwheel's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Foat Wuth
Posts: 9,951
Re: Party Planning

I figger a pound per person raw weight on packer brisket and bone in butts. The formula do not fail unless you got some low quality portion control and then no telling what happen on that deal. Try trading the Mac n Cheese in for some Bushes Sweet beans. Only kids eat Mac N Cheese. Way too many carbs for fat boys. Now my old pal Big Jim Whitten from down in Florididdy say he made up a real good nanner pudding in bags. His Sams sold gallon can of vanilla pudding. He would just rhrow a handful or two of vanilla wafers down in the bag..add some pudding and slice up a few ripe nanners thrown down in there..repeat till the bag is full. Might be tempted to hit the nanners with some lemon juice so they dont turn too brown. That always sounded like a good plan to me but I aint never seen anybody selling gallon cans of pudding for some reason. Sams around here aint seem to have heard of it.
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:04 AM   #8
Saint O'Que
 
Bob In Fla.'s Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: O-Town, Florida
Posts: 1,115
Re: Party Planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel
Now my old pal Big Jim Whitten from down in Florididdy say he made up a real good nanner pudding in bags. His Sams sold gallon can of vanilla pudding. He would just rhrow a handful or two of vanilla wafers down in the bag..add some pudding and slice up a few ripe nanners thrown down in there..repeat till the bag is full. Might be tempted to hit the nanners with some lemon juice so they dont turn too brown. That always sounded like a good plan to me but I aint never seen anybody selling gallon cans of pudding for some reason. Sams around here aint seem to have heard of it.
SOME of the Sam's in Florididdy sell vanilla pudding in gallon cans, but not the 2 closest to me. Sometimes, they hide them so ya gotta ask.

Restaurant Depot does. They are those # 10 cans like Bushes beans sometimes comes in.

Big Jim has started making the same puddin in those aluminum trays. A half tray takes about 4 'nanners and a box of the vanilla wafers with that gallon can of puddin. A full tray takes double of all three. If'n ya slice those 'nanners right into the puddin' there's no need for that lemony stuff to keep 'em from turning brown.

Ya layer the wafers, 'nanner slices, puddin. 'nanner slices, puddin then ending up with vanilla wafers on top.

Big Jim is a great teacher. He let me do all of the work while he supervised. Nothing like hands-on training!

BOB
__________________
The Battle Wagon used on the BBQ Pitmasters Show "Chicken Wang, Chicken Wang, Chicken Wang" NOW lives in O-Town, Floriddy
Stump's Smoker "Baby" (Pretty in Pink)
Stump's Smoker "Tailgater"
Stump's Smoker "Monster" (01/08/2013)
Weber Smokey Joe (Homer Simpson Edition Mini BGE
Bob In Fla. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:32 AM   #9
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
bigwheel's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Foat Wuth
Posts: 9,951
Re: Party Planning

Thanks for the info Bob. Glad to hear Big Jim is continuing to evolve and refine his techniques.
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:57 PM   #10
Moderator
 
bbquzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Newark, OH & Indian River, MI
Posts: 5,011
Re: Party Planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel
I figger a pound per person raw weight on packer brisket and bone in butts. The formula do not fail unless you got some low quality portion control and then no telling what happen on that deal. Try trading the Mac n Cheese in for some Bushes Sweet beans. Only kids eat Mac N Cheese. Way too many carbs for fat boys. Now my old pal Big Jim Whitten from down in Florididdy say he made up a real good nanner pudding in bags. His Sams sold gallon can of vanilla pudding. He would just rhrow a handful or two of vanilla wafers down in the bag..add some pudding and slice up a few ripe nanners thrown down in there..repeat till the bag is full. Might be tempted to hit the nanners with some lemon juice so they dont turn too brown. That always sounded like a good plan to me but I aint never seen anybody selling gallon cans of pudding for some reason. Sams around here aint seem to have heard of it.
BW, BW, BW ... it goes without saying I'm making Bigwheels Baked Beans and probably just make a 55 gallon drum full, all my family and friends agree they are the best ever. Had some cold last week for breakfast But do have to do the mac and cheese too. If you or Bob can give me anymore direction on Big Jim Whitten pudding, I've been searching and can't find his recipe. I'm thinking of doing the pudding in 4-5-6 oz. plastic soufflé cup, vanilla wafer on the bottom, pudding/banana and another wafer on top. I do think I can find the #10 can of pudding. Thanks for all the help.
__________________
Buzz Price
• WSM 18.5 • WSM 22.5 • Performers, Black & Green • Q 300 Gasser
• KCBS Certified Judge #53267
bbquzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #11
Saint O'Que
 
Bob In Fla.'s Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: O-Town, Florida
Posts: 1,115
Re: Party Planning

http://www.lazyq.com/

That's his website. I can't find any recipes right now.

Quote:
puddin in those aluminum trays. A half tray takes about 4 'nanners and a box of the vanilla wafers with that gallon can of puddin. A full tray takes double of all three. If'n ya slice those 'nanners right into the puddin' there's no need for that lemony stuff to keep 'em from turning brown.

Ya layer the wafers, 'nanner slices, puddin. 'nanner slices, puddin then ending up with vanilla wafers on top.
That's about how he told me. Not really a recipe, just assembly instructions. I don't think Big Jim believes in recipes.

Never seen or thought about doing it in a cup.

BOB
__________________
The Battle Wagon used on the BBQ Pitmasters Show "Chicken Wang, Chicken Wang, Chicken Wang" NOW lives in O-Town, Floriddy
Stump's Smoker "Baby" (Pretty in Pink)
Stump's Smoker "Tailgater"
Stump's Smoker "Monster" (01/08/2013)
Weber Smokey Joe (Homer Simpson Edition Mini BGE
Bob In Fla. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:03 PM   #12
Moderator
 
bbquzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Newark, OH & Indian River, MI
Posts: 5,011
Re: Party Planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob In Fla.
http://www.lazyq.com/

That's his website. I can't find any recipes right now.

Quote:
puddin in those aluminum trays. A half tray takes about 4 'nanners and a box of the vanilla wafers with that gallon can of puddin. A full tray takes double of all three. If'n ya slice those 'nanners right into the puddin' there's no need for that lemony stuff to keep 'em from turning brown.

Ya layer the wafers, 'nanner slices, puddin. 'nanner slices, puddin then ending up with vanilla wafers on top.
That's about how he told me. Not really a recipe, just assembly instructions. I don't think Big Jim believes in recipes.

Never seen or thought about doing it in a cup.

BOB
Thanks Bob!
__________________

__________________
Buzz Price
• WSM 18.5 • WSM 22.5 • Performers, Black & Green • Q 300 Gasser
• KCBS Certified Judge #53267
bbquzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off







Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×