Opinions please...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hillbilly1

Sous Chef
It depends, ifin it's just product, I charge by the pound.

Ifin theres services involved I charge by the head.

Also, the more ya do the more it costs! IE: Clean up, how long yer servin an such.

By the head of course. Pushed pork..sweet beans and tater chips. Wouldnt touch it for less than 12 bucks a head. Special chicken hot dawgs for the young skulls fulla mush. Cheap store brand brats to go with in case some uninvited yankmes shows up. Sometimes they forget to eat the dead hawg..then a person just serve that next week or month etc. See where I'm headed here?

bigwheel

Around the metro Detroit area it's going for anywhere between $9-$12/lb...my buddy Steve charges $10/lb.

I'd like to charge that, but round here, bein farm country ya just can't, especially now with the economy, I can't sell it fer more then that, got some folks who complain already, say they can get it at the store cheaper, that be where I send em to. Ya wanna eat that stuff go ahead, when yer ready fer some real Q come see me!

Great attitude Hillbilly. Like the full time outlaw catering lady tole me one time..You can either be a Chevy (work cheap and often) or you can be a Lincoln Towncar (work less frequently but earn about the same money.) Her theory was give them the best they ever had and charge the snot out of em. She had been working out of her home kitchen for 20 years and stayed busy each weekend. If a person wanted bbq she had a big offset out in her backyard. She made everything from scratch including the bread.

bigwheel

I still do a drop off now and then. $10.50 a pound that includes rolls. I figure 4 rolls to the pound. No sauce on the side, that just gets dumped in after pulling in the hotel pan. Helps bump up the weight too. ;) :LOL:

Pigs

Hillbilly said:
I'd like to charge that, but round here, bein farm country ya just can't, especially now with the economy, I can't sell it fer more then that, got some folks who complain already, say they can get it at the store cheaper, that be where I send em to. Ya wanna eat that stuff go ahead, when yer ready fer some real Q come see me!

There's probably more BBQ cooks in your neck of the woods than there are here...I only know of about 3 or 4 in the metro area that do catering and do it right, the rest either cut corners or are claiming it's real Q when it's really cooked with gas or whatever. If it's good Q and people know it is...they'll pay $10/lb for it here, because it's hard to find.

cbay77 said:
Down and dirty pulled pork for 60, you guys charge by the head or by the pound? Appreciate your help. Thanks!

60 people at 1/3 lb PP = 20 lbs cooked @ $10.00 per lb = $200 to cook 5 butts.

Easy money. 8)

I charge $8.00 per pound. That is in 4 lb foodsaver packs right out of the freezer. If you want me to do the re-heating and bring it to you hot and ready to eat, it costs you an extra $100

Not meaning to sound flippant, but I do not get "down and dirty" for less that 200 persons. I'd charge $5.00 per person min. Make certain you have ALOT, but if 15 hours of your time isn't worth $175-$200 in profit, then you need to do something different.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom