NEW BUSINESS IDEA!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Forkin Pork

Senior Cook
Ok maybe this belongs in the sausage factory, but then again who knows?
I've come up with a business concept that is not completely different, however, I believe it is somewhat unique! :idea:

I want to open a store or "deli" for lack of a better word...but NOT a deli, one that specializes in sausages of ALL kinds.
You can come in and purchase 20 + different kinds of sausages made in the store, with a weekly special sausage.
You can even come in and order lunch or dinner, from soups to sandwiches and plated dinners, all containing sausage in one way or another.
Perhaps, maybe even have a corner in the store, that caters to home sausage makers (supplies, etc) and speaking of catering, don't forget that aspect of the business.
WELL!......bottom line what do ya all think?
I can take it ...tell it like it is.....winner or not?
I have never seen this type or concept before...I feel it will work! :roll: Whatya call it?...Whatya call it? Hmmmm

Have often thought of a similar concept cept I would not want to get into the on premises dining theme too heavy. That be too much like running a restaurant which is generally guaranteed to fail. Maybe have a few picnic tables and toss em a link on a bun from the steamer if they want to dine in. I also dont like the sound of all the varieties. Gearing up to make different types of sausages is a pain in the booty let alone working up some passable recipes for a bunch of odd ball stuff. Believe I would pick out about 5 or 6 types and stick with those:
1. Andouille
2. Polish
3. Hotlinks
4. Brats
5. Eyetalian
6. Jap and Cheese
Think I would make one type of sausage each day and whut wasnt sold could be bag sucked and froze in 1 or 2 lb increments. When it sold out..make some more. Think you could figger out purty quick which type be the mover for your area. If you got one that's a stinker..replace it with something else. Just thinking out loud here.

bigwheel

I don't think it would do well in the south. Nothing Deli goes well in this area of North Carolina.

I went into a sausage shop while in Manhattan, NY about 10 years ago. They sold all kinds of sausage which they made on site. It wasn't a restaurant though. I bought some smoke sausage and brought it back home. It did kind of smelled up the plane. It was a carry on. I wonder if they let you carry on sausage now!

The transplanted northerners down here have two such shops where they can buy from in the stretch from Ft. Lauderdale to West Palm Beach. The shops follow BW's formula. Less than ten sausage types produced in store and stocking specialty off site produced items. The owners are in early and the shops close when they sell out. It looks like a good business if these stores are any indicator.

Thanks everyone this is great feed back, I truly plan to perfect this concept then develope my menu and plan and take action.
I know as well as most of you do, that this venture does not happen over night and Im not running down that road...no no!
Slow and steady to start, cross my T's and dot my "i". It's realy good to know that with your help....Im off to a great start....

Todays advice well taken,
*Ok only 10 sausage types per day....
*no restaurant seating...maybe have 3 table of 6 inside and 3 picnic tables outside.
*Offer some BBQ, great idea!...since I'll be smokin.

NOTE: Up here in Connecticut I have never seen this idea and although I am very far from $rich$....the area is loaded with big money! :idea:
Hell, a 3 bedrm 2 bath average size (1500sqft) on 1/4 acre is seling for $650-$700.
So the money is here and surrounded by big city, just need that special unique tasty nich! ;)

Diva,
Swiss meat, nice site! Kinda what I'm talkin about, Never thought about sellin hams either? :idea:
Shhhh........I perfect wittdogs xmas recipe and sell that.......that's got to a winner! :shock:

NOTE: Up here in Connecticut I have never seen this idea and although I am very far from $rich$....the area is loaded with big money! :idea:
Hell, a 3 bedrm 2 bath average size (1500sqft) on 1/4 acre is seling for $650-$700.

yeah, leave it to those fairfield county people to drive up the state's per capita income :P ....if we could work out an even trade with new york, fischer's island for fairfield county......

anyhoo, kind of a cool idea, everyone loves sausages up here...

Rob

Hey Rob good to see someone else from Ct in here! :shock:
Yah, Conventry is a bit of a ways out there and yah, your right about Fairfield County, heck as soon as you hit New Haven County the price of gas drops 30 cent a gallon.
It's hard living down here next to all these executives from New York City.

But Like I said the moneys here...just got to fine my culinary nitch to tap into that wealth$$$.

I think this might do it...I love the advice I get in here. Hell, if I open that store, there's gonna be a big picture of this web site right up there next to my first dollar bill made! 8)

Coupla cajun themed sausage shoppes in this area calling themselves Bayou Brothers. One over by me was in a bit of a quandry in that they couldnt smoke anything. The city health goons wouldnt let em smoke outside and the landlord wouldnt let em smoke inside. They eventually shut the door on the place. They have another Location in Lewisville, TX which I assume works sorta the same way and guess is doing well. They have andouilla..boudan..hand stuff Turkdunkens...bagged up and frozen etouffes...dirty rice...cajun home cooking ingredients..jarred Rouxs etc. Was always a fun place to visit. Never did buy nothing from em once they confessed to not putting liver in the boudan. That kinda stuff really gets me riled up. That be like trying to eat bread without no butter on it.

bigwheel

smokin

Good thought on the smokin part :!: Don't believe I would have to much problem there, but then again, never say never ;)
Im still taken notes everyone, so keep it comin, Im gonna make this thing happen :!:

Visit you local Governments department of Heath and Zoning before you sign a lease. Make sure what you want to do is a "use by right" and not a "conditional use". Then get a lawyer (kills me to say that) to review the lease or purchase agreement for the real estate with and eye toward what you want to do. Then look at who your neighbors will be. Will they have an axe to grind with you or do you want to be in close proximity with them (BMW dealership across the street, adult book store next door?) Just some food for thought.

Griff that's what Im talkin about when it comes to a sausage shop, however, i do want onsite cookin and catering whit the BBQ :LOL:
Dat .... thanks for the imput took some good notes and yah my hand did shake a bit when I got to the lawyerrr part. :?
Thanks

DATsBBQ said:
...Then get a lawyer (kills me to say that) to review the lease or purchase agreement for the real estate with and eye toward what you want to do....

That was my favorite part.

Griff

Back
Top Bottom