need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Crazy Redneck

Assistant Cook
Hey All,
I just want to get some opinions and probably some pointers. I did a small private party this last weekend for a friend. Off of this party I just received a call to do a wedding for 150-200 people. I do not have a catering license and was wondering if I should do this wedding. They want pulled pork and chicken and three sides. We have nevr done a big catering event especially a wedding. What do you all think I should do?

Please help.......
:shock: :D

Do it. Private parties are no problem. The HD doesnt mess with private parties. For the sides, there is a place in Ashland VA just down the road from you called Robin Hood Foods. They have fantastic red potato salad and slaw along with a lot of other great stuff. Call them and ask for Tony. Tell him you know Bill and kathy Small and that you are catering too. He will Hook you up. 804-752-2918 is his number there. It also keeps you out of trouble as far as working out of your kitchen. If you need anyting else, call me. I'll PM you my cell number.

How well do you know the couple? If they are strangers I would be reluctant. Two reasons:

1) it is a wedding. Brides and their mothers tend to be VERY demanding AND particular. IF you are new to this, it is alot of pressure. You may want to cut your teeth on a few grad/reunion parties first!

2) In Ohio, if you are charging a "per plate" fee ,then you ARE governed by the HD even if it is a private party. They prolly wouldn't catch you, but you would be illegal just the same.

Woodman said:
How well do you know the couple? If they are strangers I would be reluctant. Two reasons:

2) In Ohio, if you are charging a "per plate" fee ,then you ARE governed by the HD even if it is a private party. They prolly wouldn't catch you, but you would be illegal just the same.

So don't forget you give them the plates for free! :LOL: And only charge for the food as a total and you should be fine as long as you have sme insurance cover...

Of course this still doesn't get you past trouble #1, the bride and brides mother.

Keep it cash only also, and don't sign any paper work if your going to keep it under the table. Checks and signed agreements can be traced for tax purposes.

I'm with Woodman. If you don't know these people really well, or don't have experience with large parties, I would do the grad/private parties to cut your teeth. You mess up something with some ones wedding and they'll (or their parents) see to it that your whole world comes crashing down.

This is an event that you definately want to have insurance for!!!

Tim

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom