Mac & Cheese for 250 - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > Catering Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2007, 08:18 PM   #1
Baby Back

Mac & Cheese for 250

Does anyone have a simple recipe for mac & cheese easy to prepare for about 250 people? I have a catering job in June, and have never done mac & cheese for the masses.
The menu they are requesting is pretty large:
Pulled Pork
Baked beans
Slaw
burgers & dogs (for kids)
green salad (This one puzzles me too me too)
mac & cheese
dessert (cookies & brownies)
I've got a handle on everything except the mac & cheese and green salad. I will probably charge them around $16/head for adults and $5/head for kids.

Thanks

Old 04-25-2007, 05:16 AM   #2
Smoker

BayouBBQ,

One word for ya EXPENSIVE!!!! Make sure that your prices reflect your cost. I had a recipe for 150 laying around here some where, but every tme a customer find's out the cost difference to add it to the menu, they change the menu. The most expensive cost you will incure is the cheese. I'll see if I can find that recipe if you're still interested.

Tim

CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:50 AM   #3
BBQ Central Pro

The good news is that you can do this a day or two before, then reheat on site in an oven , or your smoker , with just lump charcoal, no wood. will take about an hour to cook, so give yourself that much time ...... bad news is it takes forever to boil the water for that much macaroni ... and you have to change the water a lot, or you'll get starchy pasta...... I'll look in my folder for amounts for ya..

Salad...what type of lettuce are you thinking of using...
Old 04-25-2007, 09:56 PM   #4
Baby Back

Found a very simple recipe today for mac&cheese; elbow mac, chedder cheese, flour, milk, butter, S & P. I can do it for about $0.25 - $0.30 per head by buying everything from Sams.
For the salad I plan on using iceberg lettuce, maybe romaine too if I can get it cheap also cherry tomatos, carrots, cucumbers. A ranch dressing and oil dressing on the side. I think I will have some cheese leftover from the mac&cheese, so I will probably put that out to.
I think 3 large aluminum dispossable pans will be plenty. I know lots of folks don't eat salad when there's bbq present.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:09 AM   #5
God O'Que

Check for the recipe on the side of a box of Mueler's macaroni...good stuff!

"I'd rather be dead in my skin than be a fan of a Redskin."
Uncle Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:17 AM   #6
BBQ Central Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBBQ
Found a very simple recipe today for mac&cheese; elbow mac, chedder cheese, flour, milk, butter, S & P. I can do it for about $0.25 - $0.30 per head by buying everything from Sams.
For the salad I plan on using iceberg lettuce, maybe romaine too if I can get it cheap also cherry tomatos, carrots, cucumbers. A ranch dressing and oil dressing on the side. I think I will have some cheese leftover from the mac&cheese, so I will probably put that out to.
I think 3 large aluminum dispossable pans will be plenty. I know lots of folks don't eat salad when there's bbq present.
That is the easiest, non-egg recipe out there.. make sure you melt the butter completely, before slowly adding the flour.. PM me if you need any help with the Mac and cheesse..

Carolina Que is 100% correct... Mac and Cheese is one of the most expensive sides out there.. Cheese going for $5 a pound doesn't leave much of a profit...