Lessons learned

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill The Grill Guy

Master Chef
Well, I did the local street festival yesterday. Made twice the money I had invested which I guess isn’t too bad. Some of the stuff I bought and is left over is earmarked for the next event. We had a few rushes that my crew handled with flying colors. I have enough beef left over for my wine festival in 2 weeks. The beef was fresh so I have it in the freezer already cubed and marinated. There are a few lessons to be learned here.

1. Chicken kabobs sell 4 to 1 times faster than beef.
2. Rice should be cooked ahead of time and reheated in food saver bags.
3. Tighten up the work are. We were too spread out.
4. Don’t get too far ahead with the kabobs.
5. The steam table is the way to go. Worked fantastic.
6. Trust your instincts, NOT THE WIFES :!: 13 cases of water and I have 11 left, 2 cases of hot dogs, 1 ½ left.
7. Take the camera. :roll:

You said doubled your money. Did that include the cost for the leftovers that you will be using at the next event? If so, you more than doubled your money, you will be making a profit on that stuff later! Glad it worked good for you Bill.

Cliff H. said:
Take the camera would be the greatest and most useful lesson IMO. ;)

Did he really cater? I mean there is no photo evidence you know.
:roll:

lol

peace

Nick Prochilo said:
You said doubled your money. Did that include the cost for the leftovers that you will be using at the next event? If so, you more than doubled your money, you will be making a profit on that stuff later! Glad it worked good for you Bill.

I agree. Double is about what I do and that covers insurance, tax accountant, website/advertising, and even an occassional contest. Double is great! Course that is, if you don't value your time for anything! ;)

Woodman said:
Nick Prochilo said:

I agree. Double is about what I do and that covers insurance, tax accountant, website/advertising, and even an occassional contest. Double is great! Course that is, if you don't value your time for anything! ;)

Vending is different than catering. You take a chance, and you hope for the best.

yeah, I hear ya about the camera thing... this past wednesday I had over $600 worth of whole beef ribeyes on the smoker for a church dinner and I forgot the camera........ :(

brian j said:
congrats on a successful venture bill. the wife wants me to start vending at horse shows in the area but i don't feel like dealing with the health departments.

This was the easiest Health Inspection I have ever gone through. I had everything set for them to pic apart and she hardley questioned anything. My buddy asked me if I had any pictures of her with any strange animals. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom