Kettle Corn?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
So I've got a big black kettle, in the summer I won't be using it
for stews and gumbos....thought about kettle corn...any ideas how
to make it?

Captain Morgan said:
So I've got a big black kettle, in the summer I won't be using it
for stews and gumbos....thought about kettle corn...any ideas how
to make it?

Here ya go had to look it up online for ya.

Kettle Corn
Ingredients:

1/4 cup corn oil
1/4 cup popcorn
1/4 cup sugar
salt

Directions:

Use a decent size pot (with a lid) and pour in enough oil to have about an 1/8" covering the bottom. Don't use too much oil. Too much oil will sog the popped popcorn and you'll probably get sick to your stomach when you eat it. Dump in enough popcorn to make a single layer in the pot. Put the pot on medium high heat. When you see the corn start to get excited but before it starts to pop, quickly pour in the sugar as evenly as you can across the top. Cover and shake back and forth to pop (like Jiffy Pop). When you pull it off you need to slightly salt it. You can't pop every single kernel because you would scorch the popcorn. Also pouring in the sugar too soon tends to make the popcorn scorch more easily. If you pour it in too late, the sugar stays granular and grainy. Also get the popped popcorn out of the pot as quickly as possible to prevent scorching.

Make a plywood or clear lexan top for your kettle and make a hole in the center about 1/2" dia.

Get some quality tight grained wood like a cabinet grade maple and cut 2 paddles that fit the shape of the bottom of your kettle as close as you can.

Attach them on a 1/2" wooden dowel that sticks above the lid you made.

Attach some type of handle or cranking/turning device to your 1/2" dowel.

Crank away.......I doubt you'll be doing it by the "shaking" method.

=======

HINT: When making your kettle corn..... if you think you might have put in a little too much sugar....... then just add some more!

Seriously though, I find if it's too much sugar added.... it just forms clumps of melted sugar in the bottom of kettle, it doesn't seem to have any adverse effect on the popcorn

Nick Prochilo said:
I hope somebody takes pictures of Cappy shaking that big old pot back and forth!

I think that would look something like a monkey and a football ??????? :shock:

Nick Prochilo said:
I hope somebody takes pictures of Cappy shaking that big old pot back and forth!

I'd rather see pic's of him trying to get the burnt sugar off the pot! :shock:

Back
Top Bottom