Is this in line ...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john pen

Master Chef
Local catering company just gave a friend the following deal on food. She has to pick it up and it dosent include rolls or any paper products...Does this price seem in line with what you guys are getting..Just doing a little research, 'cause hey, you never know...

Pulled pork with sauce on the side for 100

sausage with peppers and onions for 50

baby red potato's - halved and cooked in a butter type herb mixture - 2 trays

mac salad for 50

$280.00

We tried to sit and figure cost's last night and I would guess he's charging cost of food times 3. Does that seem acurate to you guys ?

John,

I don't cater, however, folks on several boards I frequent that do and have these conversations frequently, all seem to be in "cost x 3 or 4" range when it comes to pricing.

that menu is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy to cheap...
let's break it down

100 servings pulled pork..... for argument sake, lets say you need 60 pounds of uncooked butts....

60 pounds X's 1.39= $83.40
or, if you get it on sale.99 a pound= $59.40

sausage with peppers and onions for 50

1/4 pound servings....so you need
somewhere around 13 pounds
if, for example, you do 1/3 peppers, 1/3 onions, 1/3 sausage
4.3 pounds of sausage @ $1.99 a pound= $8.62
4.3 pounds of peppers @ $1.99 a pound= $8.62
4.3 pounds of onions @ .66 a pound= $2.85

baby red potato's - halved and cooked in a butter type herb mixture - 2 trays
presumably those two trays will feed 25 people each@ 1/4 pound serving per person

12.5 pounds of baby red potatoes @1.33 a pound=$16.63
no telling how much butter ,in an absolute sense , you will use, but let's just put down a pound.... butter is anywhere from $1.99 a pound to $5.00 a pound .. so lets take the middle ground, and go with $3.50 a pound

mac salad for 50
same rules apply, 1/4 pound servings

Mac salad to make ..... Paste, $1.00 a pound to buy , you only need about 4 pounds of dry to make this, so $4.00 .. let's just assume for this that there will be no other additions to the mac salad, but mayo.. the mayo cost. about $4.00

so, if I'm not missing anything
$4.00 for mayo
$4.00 for pasta
$3.50 for butter
$16.63 for baby red potatoes
$2.85 for onions
$8.62 for sausage
$8.62 for peppers
$83.40 for butts

I get about $131.62

on edit.. this is food cost only..... no telling what it would cost for all the herbs, spices, sauces, fuel for smoker, fuel for car, and everythnig else that encompasses the entire cost of the the beginning to end process

My charge for this menu. would be north of a $1,000...

I would think an average commercial price would be between $575 - $600 minimum, so you are looking at them only costing around half that amount.

It's therefore a cheap price, for what ever reason...perhaps they are already catering another party of pulled pork and sausages the same day, and all they are having to do is lay a little more in the pit and cater the extra party, all other costs incurred being found by the first party; so this party could just be cream, especially as she is doing the collecting and delivering, they just need to cook it and tray it up.

yeah I'm liking the cost per person a hell of a lot more than
what I did when I started....and there's still a minimum
of me getting 200 bucks for my time no matter what.

Course not a lot of folks call me... :oops:

Captain Morgan said:
yeah I'm liking the cost per person a hell of a lot more than
what I did when I started....and there's still a minimum
of me getting 200 bucks for my time no matter what.

Course not a lot of folks call me... :oops:

I called you............you were busy! :roll:

Wow, that is cheap! The grad party that we helped with ended up costing over $800 and that was without labor costs since we helped for free and they did a little of the food. She better jump on that!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom