I need help again from the pros!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surfinsapo

Master Chef
I have been tasked to make chili for 200 men. I have talked to a few people on BBQ Central about this and they gave we great ideas. Basic chili- no beans, cornbread, grated cheddar cheese, chopped onions, jalips, etc.. Ice Tea & Water to drink. My questions are:1. How many quarts of chili for 200 people? 2. How many cookie sheet of cornbread for 200 men? I have to be safe and make enough since there isn't RSVP...Also, if all of it doesn't get eaten what is the best way to give the people to go bowls? Thank you in advance... I have large boiling pots.. Will those work ok to cook the chili? I'm kind of nervous as usual...

S.S. :D

I'm no pro, so I don't know if my opinion counts.

Styrofoam cups (with lids) makes good containers for chili and they're cheap and easy.

SS - The bowl I use for chili at home holds 10 oz and with just chili and cornbread I may eat a bowl and a half. If your feeding 200 men, you may come up short at 8 oz per person. I'd figure at least 10 or maybe 12 then take along some quart containers (or freezer bags) and sell any leftovers.

Sapo..Sapo..Sapo..as a Pro I will tell you this. Go to Sams and buy gallon cans of the store brand of chili w/o beans..I forget the name of it now but its good. Read on the can how many it will feed then divide that number into 200. Buy a few onyawns and about 5 lbs of Kraft brand mild cheddar cheese. Go to the potato chip section and buy about 6 cases of the invidividual serving size of Fritos. They come 50 in the case so that should give you a margin for error on the hawgy boys who want two or three. Also snag some paper towels and some spoons. You pop open a bag of Fritos..do it at the top..pops right open..then put a dollop of chili down in the bag..hand em a plastic spoon and a paper and point em toward where the chopped onyawn and cheese is hanging out. Here in americka that is called a Cheetoh Frilly Pie or similar. Set up a big tip Jar next to where your serving..make sure the jar say "tips" on it in bold letters. Now since you an amateur and want to cook chili follow the above directions only using your ho made chili. Forget the cornbread and other nonsense. The cheese will go about 10 times faster than the onyawns. Now I dont know why I'm wasting of giving away all my professional secrets here...you don't neva listen to anything I say now do ya? The bar condiment holders works great for holding the cheese and onyawns..pickled japs etc. The one I got is from Acemart and cost about 40 bucks. Prob slip the bar maid a fiver and you might get a free one. Who knows? To heat up the chil or keep it hot use the big electric roaster/slow cookers. I got one for 40 bucks at Wally World which will hold mo chili than a person could buy at Sams. Eggxagerating here just a bit of course:) Its a whopper. Best of fortunes on the big feed. Dont be a pinche cavarone and buy the cheap cheese.

bigwheel (pro)

Big wheel, you da man. That is a great idea since I don't have a RSVP and that way I won't waste food. I can keep the cans of chili for another fellowship and same with the freetos. The cheese can be put into the church fridge for the workers next week.. This shows that a ole blind sow can find an acorn now and then,, thanks bro :D

S.S.

Great point on them leftover Fritoes....they will last FOREVER...I dont think any kinda bug finds em tolerable. Now after about 2 years they start to turn sorta leathery but by the time it gets chili on it who knows? Also meant to say just keep that roaster ginning...when it starts looking low dump another gallon and stir it up good. It will come to temp immediately..or least fast enough for guv'ment work. Now I made a special trip out to Fredicka..the world famous wannabe Roach Coach and bonafide bbq prepping area plust a complete sausage making kitchen..plust it has a place to sleep..bathroom..triple commercial sinks and a 5 feet SS worktable from Waffle House. Done all this just to get your the right brand of Chili from Sams. Just happen to have a leftover can from a few years back. It is "Stagg Chili Con Carne w/o beans" shoulda snagged you the folks per can info but it was purty dark in there. Prob depend some on how hongry are the folks too. I rather throw out a bunch than run short by a little...especially if it aint my money. :LOL:

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Sapo..Sapo..Sapo..as a Pro I will tell you this. Go to Sams and buy gallon cans of the store brand of chili w/o beans..I forget the name of it now but its good. Read on the can how many it will feed then divide that number into 200. Buy a few onyawns and about 5 lbs of Kraft brand mild cheddar cheese. Go to the potato chip section and buy about 6 cases of the invidividual serving size of Fritos. They come 50 in the case so that should give you a margin for error on the hawgy boys who want two or three. Also snag some paper towels and some spoons. You pop open a bag of Fritos..do it at the top..pops right open..then put a dollop of chili down in the bag..hand em a plastic spoon and a paper and point em toward where the chopped onyawn and cheese is hanging out. Here in americka that is called a Cheetoh Frilly Pie or similar. Set up a big tip Jar next to where your serving..make sure the jar say "tips" on it in bold letters. Now since you an amateur and want to cook chili follow the above directions only using your ho made chili. Forget the cornbread and other nonsense. The cheese will go about 10 times faster than the onyawns. Now I dont know why I'm wasting of giving away all my professional secrets here...you don't neva listen to anything I say now do ya? The bar condiment holders works great for holding the cheese and onyawns..pickled japs etc. The one I got is from Acemart and cost about 40 bucks. Prob slip the bar maid a fiver and you might get a free one. Who knows? To heat up the chil or keep it hot use the big electric roaster/slow cookers. I got one for 40 bucks at Wally World which will hold mo chili than a person could buy at Sams. Eggxagerating here just a bit of course:) Its a whopper. Best of fortunes on the big feed. Dont be a pinche cavarone and buy the cheap cheese.

bigwheel (pro)
WOW, and all this time I thought I was a thieving!
Just goes to show, if ya can't get screwed by a cop, who then? :roll:
Go for it Sapo, I'll read your obituary on line.
Good luck if you go with this deal! Not this cat!!!!! No way in hell I'd cheat my customers like that. GROSS.
Oh yea, guess Bigwheel can handle a can opener! No other sharp objects tho. :LOL:

Now whut in the world you rambling about here? Cheating and gross? We have the same meal as described for supper about once a week..cept we normally use Wolf Brand Chili. Going to Sam's is too much trouble and my membership is expired. Now if I really need something from there I got a pal who loans me his card. It got his pic on it but real poor quality photography so aint nobody can tell who it is. Just have to pay cash and everything is ok.

bigwheel

With all due respect Chris, if Wheeler eats it, and would suggest it, it will probably fly! I have eaten alot of Texas Red, and, once you get the consistency right, they all taste pretty much the same!

Woodman said:
With all due respect Chris, if Wheeler eats it, and would suggest it, it will probably fly! I have eaten alot of Texas Red, and, once you get the consistency right, they all taste pretty much the same!

I know. I was just pulling Jeff's chain. :LOL:

Pigs

Whut a good jokester. Betcha Chris even knows the difference between humor and odor. If not...think it be ok to give one blind guess.

bigwheel

Well yall apparently don't catch jokes very well..or maybe too good. Always remember humor is a shift of wit...odor is (fill in the blank). Fortunantly just had a great expurience in talking to Sapo over the land line. He has decided to be reasonable and do the big chili feed my way. Obviously a very smart feller huh? Now when the pics come out I will nearly bet he has done just the opposite. Who knows?

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom