How big of a job can you handle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill The Grill Guy

Master Chef
I was contacted by a guy who wanted a bbq catering job for 800-1000 folks. I just didn't see any way I (and Gary) could do a job that big. We dont have the equipment.

Sooooo, how big of a job can you handle?

Well there is supposed to be an old boy over in Wise County who feeds an entire town on behalf of a big car lot. His pit aint real big but he cooks all year long and freezes everything. Thaws it out in time for D Day. Now he prob need a little serving help:) Looks like a person could do a scaled down version of that deal for a thousand. Feed them slop buckets of tater salad from Sams and some sweet beans. Wrote right on the can how many they will serve. Sounds like a walk in da park to me.

bigwheel

We done 227 + with just the two of us, that be nough people fer me. That was precookin as much a the meat as we could an rewarmin on site, made beans on site an pre shredded the coleslaw then added in the wet ingrieds there. Was a fast pace fer sure, but we made it. Ta do that many ya figure yer gonna need bout minimum a 5 people an pre cook all the meat an premake everthin ya can.

If just cooking Brisket or PP, I could do that number. Add chicken or ribs and the real estate starts dissapearing maxing me out at about 250
dj

We did a turn key job for 300. Gave them brisket sausage beans tater salad and slaw..dessert etc. Me and the warden was on site and fixing to put a fire in the hole when fortunantly Big Dave and Big Brad showed up and pitched into help. Whew sure glad them two showed up. We got ir done. Throwed out massive amounts of home cooked pintos and other assorted veggies. Not a scrap of meat left. Made a believer outta me. Folks who come to a bbq want meat. If I ever lost my mind and try to do another only thang I would offer is pulled pork sandwiches..sweet beans and tater chips. Let them eat meat until they puke. It also cheap and easy to fix reheat etc. If the payor dont like it thats too bad. In actual real life vending trials in Texas..it was found locals preferred the push pork to brisket by a wide margin.

bigwheel

Well I was with ya till you got to the chicken. I have heard too many horror stories of some old widder lady seeing some red smoke stains on her yard bird and start screaming "raw chicken" at the top of her lungs..which then everybody else won't it either. Now you got to shake this yankee habit of serving cornbread with bbq. Somebody try that in Tejas they go put them in the looney bin. If it aint on a bun a slection of white and whole wheat Mrs. Bairds is in order. Now I like the bacon dawg deal. That is cheap and easy. Give you an A plust and a smiley face on that one:) Try that trick with some Okie hot links. JC Potter Brand from Wally World sometime. Those things are surprising good in case you aint tried em. Less than 3 bucks a pound last I bought some. They have a real soft bite and will lite up your coola.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom