hor'dourves for 30 - 40

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteerCrazy

Head Chef
brian j said:
i've been asked to cook hot hor'dourves for a party with 30 - 40 guests. the party doesn't start until 8 pm so i think most people will have had a light dinner. i was thinking of doing casadias (5 of them), a whole turkey breasts, and a crock pot full of meatballs. the hosts will provide chips, veggies, etc. does this sound like a enough food? i was also going to charge $135. does this sound like too much, not enough, just right? :scratch

thanks.

Sounds great to me.......do you mean quesadilla's??? otherwise I wanna know what the casadias are in case I'm missin out on somethin tasty........ :LOL: ;)

brian j said:
SteerCrazy said:
Sounds great to me.......do you mean quesadilla's??? otherwise I wanna know what the casadias are in case I'm missin out on somethin tasty........ :LOL: ;)
yea i meant quesadilla's. i spell like an idiot sometimes. :oops:

Look, I'm not one to talk down people that can't spell but sometimes things are spelled differently than they sound ;) ...........unfortunately the only thing that I was good at was spelling in school, :LOL:
Anyway, besides that....sounds like a great menu and a fair price for the crowd...good luck with it!! Sounds like fun too!

Brian I always try to have at least "wow" item each cook, cause that
can lead to more gigs. ABT's have led to more return business and
referrals than anything else.

How you gonna do the breast? Also the meatballs? Got any Texas
Pepper Jelly? That stuff is awesome on meatballs, people always
ask what it is..

Good luck!

I agree with cappy...my friends are used to the ABT's but still expect them every time I bring stuff (ya know those pepper thingies with the bacon..)...my new "wow" item is the pulled pork wrapped in won tons and fried with a sweet and sour bbq sauce for a dip...they are gone as fast as the ABT's !!

I think maybe you are not charging enough...

think about it... figure your cost.. then subtract it from your total... is 75 bucks worth your time??

also think... if you got apetizers in a restuarant... how much would you pay per person... say min 5.75 + tax + tip comes to say 7.50

give em a bargain at 6.00 x 40 people = $240 and make yourself a profit of $180

still sounds a little light to me.. but that is my $0.02

by the way.. I also agree with Cappie about the WOW item... ABT's or stuffed mushrooms, or even a crab dip, or a Holiday Brie (that is an easy/cheap one with some mid range wow factor)

Gary in VA said:
I think maybe you are not charging enough...

think about it... figure your cost.. then subtract it from your total... is 75 bucks worth your time??

also think... if you got apetizers in a restuarant... how much would you pay per person... say min 5.75 + tax + tip comes to say 7.50

give em a bargain at 6.00 x 40 people = $240 and make yourself a profit of $180

still sounds a little light to me.. but that is my $0.02

by the way.. I also agree with Cappie about the WOW item... ABT's or stuffed mushrooms, or even a crab dip, or a Holiday Brie (that is an easy/cheap one with some mid range wow factor)

I was gonna mention Gary's Mushrooms Brian. If you wanna wow them, that's the ticket. Little pricey, but they'll certainly be crowd pleasers!

brian j said:
hmmm. i guess i'm going to need to think about this little more.

i was going to do a brined, smoked turkey breast that was sliced and served cold. my goal here was to do everything before and just delivered items that can be reheated so that i could enjoy the party.

has anyone ever done this with abt's? might be time to pull out a few cookbooks.

also this is a question for gary, bill, larry, and bruce... how about those stuffed mushrooms i did last year at gary's party, do those have enough wow?

Brian I forgot about the shitake's you did at Garys! Those would work perfect!

For some reason seafood will always add that little extra wow!!

Brian, I prefer my ABT's after they have cooled and the cream cheese has set up...Ive also sliced them into rings for serving at partys which is easily done once they set up..

brian j said:
hmmm. i guess i'm going to need to think about this little more.

i was going to do a brined, smoked turkey breast that was sliced and served cold. my goal here was to do everything before and just delivered items that can be reheated so that i could enjoy the party.

has anyone ever done this with abt's? might be time to pull out a few cookbooks.

also this is a question for gary, bill, larry, and bruce... how about those stuffed mushrooms i did last year at gary's party, do those have enough wow?

oooooo... yeah... them thangs was goood.... they would be a definate hit.

Brian, these have a pretty good wow factor, they're cheap and easy to make and they're vegetarian for the inclined. I don't do appetizers as a catering option so IO don't know about the price but you seem low.

Bambinos

1 cup finely chopped fresh mushrooms
1 4oz jar pimentos, finely chopped
1 2 1/4 oz jar black olives, fnely chopped
I use mini processor on above.
4 oz sharp cheddar cheese (grated)
1/2 cup olive oil
8 oz can tomato sauce
garlic powder
1 large Baguette, toasted and cut into thin slices.

Combine olive oil and tomato sauce in medium bowl;
Sprinkle with garlic powder and stir. add Mushrooms, and
Sprinkle with garlic powder and stir, add Pimentos, and
Sprinkle with garlic powder and stir, add Olives, and
Sprinkle with garlic powder and stir, add Cheese, and
Sprinkle with garlic powder and stir.
Spread mixture on toasted baguette slices and heat in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.

Rich Decker said:
Brian, these have a pretty good wow factor, they're cheap and easy to make and they're vegetarian for the inclined. I don't do appetizers as a catering option so IO don't know about the price but you seem low.

Bambinos

1 cup finely chopped fresh mushrooms
1 4oz jar pimentos, finely chopped
1 2 1/4 oz jar black olives, fnely chopped
I use mini processor on above.
4 oz sharp cheddar cheese (grated)
1/2 cup olive oil
8 oz can tomato sauce
garlic powder
1 large Baguette, toasted and cut into thin slices.

Combine olive oil and tomato sauce in medium bowl;
Sprinkle with garlic powder and stir. add Mushrooms, and
Sprinkle with garlic powder and stir, add Pimentos, and
Sprinkle with garlic powder and stir, add Olives, and
Sprinkle with garlic powder and stir, add Cheese, and
Sprinkle with garlic powder and stir.
Spread mixture on toasted baguette slices and heat in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.

Sounds good Rich. Sounds like a lot of garlic powder too. I WUV ME SOME GARLIC though.

not sure if it's too late .. but I always figure each( normal, non BBQ, non- eating machine) person, will each eat between 3-4 appys at a party.... I avg about $1.75- $2.0 for each appy...obviously within a norm of food, not lobster or fliet mignon or other higher higher end, higher priced items .. so if you have 40 people eating, lets say 3 appys, its... 40 people x3 appys =120 appys, x $2:00 per appy =$240 ...hope that helps

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom