First Gig

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rag1

Executive Chef
I been trying to get a pig cooking thing going this year. Did my first PAID gig yesterday for an 'end of season' baseball picnic for kids.
They wanted a 150# pig which I didn't even know if it would fit in my cooker and cook right. Turns out the packing house sends me a 127#er which just fit with the back legs cut off. I added 3 butts to make up the weight.
All went well with a ton of compliments. I had 4 sauces out. Sweet Baby Rays, Ole Ray's, Head country and my own version of Carolina vinegar based. The Carolina was the hit followed by head Country. I just bought a gallon of Head Country this week based on you guys comments. I like it a lot.
http://usera.imagecave.com/Rag/BenFaust/
We had 2 consecutive contests with this as the 3rd weekend. I'm ready for a rest. I don't know how you guys do a big spread with sides and stuff.

looks good...believe me, even after a comp where I got a top 3, as I'm unloading and cleaning , I'm swearing I'll never do it again, same with caters.

It's definately fun but folks have no idea how much unseen work there
is.

Great job Rag.
Cappy I thought I was the only one that felt that way...Loading up I usually ask myself why..

The guy who contracted me asked if the pig still had the head on in the closed cooker. I answered yes, and he replied, "kids won't eat that". They are 'town kids'.
I'm not ready to compete in whole hogs yet. I have enough trouble with the damned chicken.
This was our second party to cook a pig (first paid) where I threw in a big batch of Brunswick Stew. (give em something extra for the money thing)
People go nuts for that stuff. I couldn't believe it.

Back
Top Bottom