Festival Cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buckscent

Assistant Cook
I have been doing several private parties, Corporate cookouts and such. I am thinking about doing some festivals next year and was wondering how many of you have just a smoker you pull to them vs. a full enclosed trailer? For those of you that have a smoker you pull to the event how is your set up for selling tataer sald, coleslaw and the cold stuff?

I would like to see some of your set up's so post some pics

I do a lot of festival, ball turney vending. With the enclosed trailer that I have I vac seal 2lbs of bbq and reheat on the flat top with a little water. Works great. I have a star bun warmer double drawer that I keep the pork warm in. That free's up the flat top for hamburgers, hot dogs and sausages. I have a buddy who pre cooks butts and then reheats the whole butts on a gas cooker he has. He does real well. I think it would be difficult to try to smoke for the event.

Well think anybody would tell ya the nice fancy trailer be the only way to fly for them who got money. My old vending pal Tubby Daniel do it just like Bill. He smoke the snot out of it at home then cool cut it up and put in the vacuum seal bags in like two pound packets and freeze it till needed. When it come show time he just grab up how many he thinks he can sell thaw em out and cook on the flat top grill. In Tubby's view successful vending is dependent on having a wide variety of menu items..just as Bill mentioned. Tubby say you come to his trailer he has it all. BBQ funnell cake turkey legs cokes water cotton candy loco weed etc. He say his BIL tried the getting rich with the corn roaster idear but he did not do as well as them with a nice selection of edibles. He also say when that bagged up brisket hits the griddle the smell drives folks wild.

bigwheel

::INGREDIENTS::
* 2 cups uncooked white rice
* ½ lb. Cod fish/salt fish
* ½ lb diced pumpkin
* 2 tsp. Vegetable oil or Olive oil
* 1 medium onion (chopped)
* 3 ½ cups water
* Salt (to taste)
* Black pepper
* A sprig of thyme
* 2 stalk scallions, chopped
* 2 -3 tbsp butter or margarine
* 1 Scotch Bonnet Pepper (Optional – used to taste )

::METHOD::
1. Soak (6 hours) or boil Cod fish/salt fish to remove most of the salt
2. Drain the water
3. Remove the Cod fish/salt fish and place in a dish.
4. "Pick up" (break in to small portions and remove any bones) Cod fish/salt fish and Set aside
5. Peel pumpkin and dice
6. Add to water and boil for 10 minutes.
7. Add vegetable oil while boiling.
8. Cook until pumpkin is fully cooked (soft...easily mashed with a fork).
9. Add rice and all the other ingredients except the Scotch Bonnet Pepper.
10. Mix while it's cooking to distribute the color
11. Add the whole Scotch Bonnet Pepper after 20 minutes on top of the rice. If you want spicy rice dice the Scotch Bonnet Pepper and add directly to the rice & mix.
12.Steam for 25-30 more minutes or until done.
13.Taste to ensure that the rice is seasoned
14.Serves 4 -6 people.

In each and every festival i make different items, such as vegetable pasta, noodles, salt fish dish, fruit ice-cream and chocolate chips. Chocolate chips is my favorite ice-cream and i make it frequently. Take ingredients such as
* 250ml pint milk
* 250ml double or heavy cream
* 75 gram sugar
* 125 gram plain chocolate
Method ::
Place the milk and sugar into a saucepan and heat gently, dissolving the sugar. Place the milk to one side to cool and when cold and stir it in the cream. Transfer this all mixture in ice cream maker and freeze it. Your ice-cream is ready.

Well thanks for the recipe. That comes just as I am healing from a bad case of left big toe gout which the Doc say was caused by too much ice cream and cookies. You a real bad boy:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom