Depot kitchen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, in PA you need to work out of a certified kitchen which a home kit would never get passed. By using throw away pans and extra utensils to replace dropped ones, you can get away without a 3 bay wash station. But still need the depot kitchen.
I handle the membership for Mid Atlantic BBQ Assn and processed several renewals from pa today that had marked their sheet with backyard catering and/or hog cooking for hire. I'm going to call these guys, but am afraid they will tell me that are operating under the radar, like most guys.
Maybe I'll just do biker events. The cops are even reluctant to come into those deals for look sees, unless there is excessive gun fire.

I called a sanitarian to inspect my set-up over labor day in Ashtabula county at a winery where I have cooked one year? He said there was no way he was coming out there on the weekend. Alot of times they just ask for a "schematic" or a "photo" of your set-up! I would say, that unless you are "vending" the chances of you getting nailed at a private event are appx < 2% . If there was an overly zealous health official actually "attending" the event, and he was not afraid to REALLY piss off the host by shutting the party down, you could get nailed. Of course, if you make a bunch of folks sick.............

I don't want to beat this string to death, but......I fear the scenario where some hump gets a belly ache and blames my chow with a lawsuit. My insurance company could say since I'm not PA certified that I'm not covered.
All that is holding me up is the base kitchen to be assigned to.
The PA inspector said that food illness is always thought to be the last thing eaten, when it could have been days or weeks earlier.

I'll tell ya something Rag. You have to watch out for the stupid morons that show up with tater and mac salad and they plop them on a table in the sun! Been there many a time. Not only do you have to police your food, but every one else's. If someone gets sick on tater salad that has been out in the sun for hours, who's the first guy they will blame? YOU!!!!!!!

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
I'll tell ya something Rag. You have to watch out for the stupid morons that show up with tater and mac salad and they plop them on a table in the sun! Been there many a time. Not only do you have to police your food, but every one else's. If someone gets sick on tater salad that has been out in the sun for hours, who's the first guy they will blame? YOU!!!!!!!

Damned good point, Pigs.

It's funny now, but a few years back I did a whole hog for a party and there was lots of salads sitting on a round picnic table in the sun. I told the host of the party that this was not a good thing! She tells me there is no more room in any of the refers. I then see a round kiddy pool next door, so I send the wife to get 12 bags of ice and go swipe the kiddy pool from the neighbor. I put it on the table and filled it with ice and used 2 plastic table skirts to disguise it and coverd it with plastic wrap and then a clean moving blanket, it held all the sides that folk brought in it. I did tell the host that she would have to explain where the kiddy pool went, and I told her " I hope you invited the neighbors." :LOL: I tell ya, ya can't make this stuff up. :D

Okay, I'm going to cater Whole Hogs this year. I spoke with a couple of catering guys today and now know how to deal with the kitchen thing.
I have a dress rehearsal in 3 weeks to cook a pig at my buddy's winery. I think there is going to be drinking involved.

Rag said:
I have a dress rehearsal in 3 weeks to cook a pig at my buddy's winery. I think there is going to be drinking involved.
You'll have a lot of cred when it comes to saying which wine(s) go(es) best with whole hog. ;)

--John

Unity said:
Rag said:
You'll have a lot of cred when it comes to saying which wine(s) go(es) best with whole hog. :wink:

They are either sweet or dry to me. Other than that they taste the same. Last time I partied there I was drinking whiskey from a wine glass. That will put some slack in your shorts.

Back
Top Bottom