Comp Q for the Public

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
I have had the opportunity to serve Pulled Pork for two different events now. While they were both non paying, I got a feel for what catering is about.

I used spice blends that cost be about $8.00 per lb. As people were loading there plates they were topping thier sandwiches with sauce that cost me $10.00 per gallon.

I am struggling with this.

I want to serve/be known for good bbq but I am wondering whether or not the masses that I cater to really need to be served the same Q that I would compete with.

I have also been pondering the idea of making a home blend, less expensive rub for the cook and then adding some of the good stuff to the finished product.

Any thoughts ?

Cliff,

Whether for comp or the general public you still want to make a good product. That being said, I would bet that in your 2 events that most people put sauce on the pork, some maybe to excess in your opinion. Most of the public will.

If thats the case, I would make sure your happy with the end quality of the pork and concentrate on giving them a good sauce. I wouldn't worry too much about the rub as most of the public will use sauce to excess and not even taste the rub. If they like the sauce they'll like your pork. The vast majority of the general public thinks BBQ is all about the sauce. IMHO.

$10 Head Country sauce is pretty good stuff. I am happy with that part.

It's the cost of the rubs that are getting me. That and the the heartache involved in watching all that work and cost go up in sauce.

People want good Q but I don't think they want to pay for competition quality.

I've heard q joint owners talk about "getting sauced to death" meaning
customers use so much they eat into the profit margins. People like me
will eat your expensive Heinz 57 on french fries, I love huspuppies in
vinegar sauce...need to add that in to your package price.

If you just figure a price by the amount of meat, you're gonna lose...
spice, sauce, wood, charcoal, gas, aluminum foil, serving utensils,
napkins, disposable pans,....they all cost money.

Cliff H. said:
I have had the opportunity to serve Pulled Pork for two different events now. While they were both non paying, I got a feel for what catering is about.

I used spice blends that cost be about $8.00 per lb. As people were loading there plates they were topping thier sandwiches with sauce that cost me $10.00 per gallon.

I want to serve/be known for good bbq but I am wondering whether or not the masses that I cater to really need to be served the same Q that I would compete with.

I have also been pondering the idea of making a home blend, less expensive rub for the cook and then adding some of the good stuff to the finished product.

Any thoughts ?
See now, this is why I do butts in a gas cooker. The stupid public will put so much sauce on that they can't taste the Q. I add a quart of water to a gallon of sauce because the morons just keep pouring it on.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
[quote="Cliff H.":2dl4cp7a]I have had the opportunity to serve Pulled Pork for two different events now. While they were both non paying, I got a feel for what catering is about.

Any thoughts ?
See now, this is why I do butts in a gas cooker. The stupid public will put so much sauce on that they can't taste the Q. I add a quart of water to a gallon of sauce because the morons just keep pouring it on.[/quote:2dl4cp7a]

sad but true

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
[quote="Greg Rempe":3pvfhag5]Cliff, how about not offering sauce?
It's expected dummy! If you vended pulled pork with out sauce, how many hundred times would you hear " where's the sauce? " Geeesh :roll:[/quote:3pvfhag5]

Dummy?

I bet if you let them have a sample they wouldn't ask for it...well, if its any good that is...but considering yours is gas smoked... :shock: :LOL:

Greg Rempe said:
[quote="Pigs On The Wing BBQ":184oj6tp][quote="Greg Rempe":184oj6tp]Cliff, how about not offering sauce?
It's expected dummy! If you vended pulled pork with out sauce, how many hundred times would you hear " where's the sauce? " Geeesh :roll:[/quote:184oj6tp]

Dummy?

I bet if you let them have a sample they wouldn't ask for it...well, if its any good that is...but considering yours is gas smoked... :shock: :LOL:[/quote:184oj6tp]
Must be the reason I go threw so much sauce when vending. :shock: :LOL:

I guess rub costs come down to whether you're buying spices in bulk or not. Bigger orders would lower your total cost, do you buy from a wholesaler?

I know it's an additional cost but what if you served each order with a small sauce cup with their portion.

T181.jpg

Or else use a plastic container with a lid like take out food places use.

Sauce_Dressing_Container.summ.jpg

At least this way you could limit sauce consumption.

Part of when handing them the meal you just ask if they would
like sauce or not.
If they say yes..then YOU vend the sauce...either in one of
those little paper cup thingies OR the amount on the product
that YOU desire.
If they want extra sauce..the price for extra sauce is:......

You could even try to trick them into no sauce by advertising
your special "BBQ Competition Judges Meal"....or the regular
"Homestyle BBQ Meal"

They think they will be getting something special and secret if they
order the Judges Meal (with no sauce)
And they aren't insulted with the pre-sauced meal being called
Homestyle instead of...."You people are so stupid! You'll never
enjoy the quality of my cooking when it's drowned in sauce Meal" :LOL:

Well think Pigs on the Wing is dead on the money hear. Most eaters arent that sophisticated to notice whether you losing high dollar or low dollar stuff. If it reeks of smoke they will eat it...as long as you got some kinda sauce to go with it. Best strategy in my book is to let em sauce it themselves. Have a separate station with sauces and other condiments..onyawns..pickles japs etc. Get you some of them long pumper gizmos and screw it to the top of the gallon jug o sauce so if they want some sauce they pump it. Afer the blessed even just pull out the pump gizmo and put the lid back on the sauce and into the ice box hopefully you use it again next time. Heck I carried opened gallon jugs of Head Country and Cattlemans around in the camper for 5 or 6 years with no refrigeration and they never did spoil..still good to eat etc. I dont think bugs can live in that stuff. Too much sugar..vinegar etc.
PS..you cant go to as much trouble and expense trying to peddle it as you do for comp. You will go broke quick. Thats why the ho made stuff is always the best.

bigwheel

bigwheel

Another thing that works is use a 1 Oz pump on the top of the gallon jug, some of those pumps are simple to take apart, and you could add a plastic washer to reduce the volume.

Just maintain the cleanliness and hygiene issues.

SoEzzy said:
Another thing that works is use a 1 Oz pump on the top of the gallon jug, some of those pumps are simple to take apart, and you could add a plastic washer to reduce the volume.

Just maintain the cleanliness and hygiene issues.
Been there, done that. Stupid folk just keep on pumping and hold the line up! :roll: Dumb as they are.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom