Comments on Price list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks good to me Gary. Hard to know what your region considers
a fair price. I think Larry made a comment last week about how
much it costs just to get a q sammie in DC.

...and.. you'll notice I start my pricing at 50 people...

this past weekend I had a job for the equivalent of 36 people.. pork, chicken and brisket... minus dessert...

I charged em the 15.50 from the chart.. took off 25 for dessert and then upcharged them 75 bucks for group smaller than 50.... got paid 600 bucks total.. not makin me rich but I didnt loose money ... AND they were pleased .. so I guess I ain't too far off.

corndog said:
Gary, the way I have heard it is that if you are getting 100% of the calls, then you are to low. If you are only getting about 30% of the calls, you are to high. I believe I have read somewhere that if you get around 70%(ish) of your calls, then your prices are in the ball park. But it looks like you are a good negotiator and will deal in order to get the customer. other than that, the prices look good to me.

BTW, how busy are you? We have been up and running since Dec 05 and we are starting to get a fair amount of calls now. W/ this being a part time job, we are about as busy as we want to be right now w/ just one or two events a month.

I am about as busy as I want to be... this is just a sideline thing for me right now. I don't advertize and my business has just been word of mouth. I get people (mostly friends and family) asking for BBQ to buy quite alot.. so I try to keep some vaccum sealed in the freezer to sell.. as far as catering gigs.. I have one a month scheduled through the summer.

I like to do other things besides basic forms of BBQ, so I'll try to accomodate any special request. Prime Rib, Salmon, Rack of pork, stuffed loins... etc

Gary only thing I'd change is the pork per lb price. You're giving it away IMO, compared to what a plain sandwich costs around here.

Larry Wolfe said:
Gary only thing I'd change is the pork per lb price. You're giving it away IMO, compared to what a plain sandwich costs around here.

you think 7.00 a pound is giving it away.?.. I am usually paying no more than 1.20/lb for butts.. thats 2.40/lb cooked.... and.. it is comparable to what some of the locals are selling it for around here... I may be a tad less.

what would you charge?...

If anything I feel like the brisket is too low at 8.50/lb for a sliced flat. and ribs at 18 bucks a rack I don't make much either.

btw.. did you get an email from me the other day about July?... just making sure my email works

Pulled pork in these parts will run you $10.50lb to 12.50lb, depending on whether you go to Longmont or Boulder. Personally, I charge a 12pack a pound (good beer only) :grin:
Dave

DATsBBQ said:
Pulled pork in these parts will run you $10.50lb to 12.50lb, depending on whether you go to Longmont or Boulder. Personally, I charge a 12pack a pound (good beer only) :grin:
Dave

Thats too funny. My partner has a sign that reads "Will Work For Beer" that he hangs up when we compete.

Helen_Paradise said:
When you are all vacuum packing...what's the typical poundage you do? One? Two? or just random?

I pack pork in 5 pound bags. It fills a 1/2 hotel pan perfect. I don't sell by the pound just by the sandwich which I allow 1/3 pound cooked and charge $5 with a 30 person minim.

Back
Top Bottom