Church picnic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koopdaddy

Senior Cook
I have been asked to do pulled pork and grilled chicken for a church picknic. There will be approximately 200 people. I have never done something like this before so I need help planning how much meat I need to get and cook.

I plan to get 8lb butts and chicken thighs. How many butts should I get?

All the side dishes will be provided by someone else, I just need to do the meat.

Can I smoke the pork butt and pull it the day before and just reheat it for serving the next day?

Thanks for any help

Like Pigs said. Pulled pork is great for advance preparation and holding until the day of an event. I vacuum seal bags of pulled pork and keep it handy in my freezer. When company shows up, I just defrost/heat a bag in boiling water, open her up and it's ready to go.

Thanks for the advice guys....

Does the meat dry out when you cook in advance? I don't really have a vacuum bag sealer.

Koopdaddy said:
Thanks for the advice guys....

Does the meat dry out when you cook in advance? I don't really have a vacuum bag sealer.
I attend a small church and we cook about 2000 Lbs. of butts for our BBQ's. I'm now one of the young guys at 56 and we have to precook it the day before or it would kill us! We mix a little sauce in it cut evenly with water to keep it moist. We pan it and keep it cold and warm it up the following day. People love it!

Not sure I would want to go to all that trouble to hold it only one day. Why not cook it last month and freeze it? You obviously have access to some massive commercial refrigerators and most likely freezers too. Now is this hot or warm? My old vending chum Bobby Smith insist he would not serve a butt or brisket to his customers which had not been previously frozen after cooking. He was a fanatic on the topic.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom