Catering/serving questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slow Poke BBQ

Assistant Cook
I have people asking me to cater there events but I have some questions.

How do most of you serve when asked?
Chicken
1) Shredded, thighs/legs, quarters, breasts

Brisket
1) Only flat slices or add chopped point also

Ribs
1) only St louis style, tips on side/ no tips or full spares cut up

Pulled pork and chopped brisket
1) Add sauce to meat or sauce on the side

Slow Poke BBQ said:
I have people asking me to cater there events but I have some questions.

How do most of you serve when asked?
Chicken
1) Shredded, thighs/legs, quarters, breasts mainly do 1/3 legs to 2/3 thighs but sometimes will do whole birds and cut up if more "formal" dinner

Brisket
1) Only flat slices or add chopped point also I cook flats ahead of time, foil, let cool in fridge overnight, slice cold and vacuum pack & reheat what I need in the bag and serve

Ribs
1) only St louis style, tips on side/ no tips or full spares cut up I usually get curlys (uncooked) frozen St. louis style ribs (already cut down) by the case and cook the day of the event. I cut them into single bones so they stretch farther

Pulled pork and chopped brisket
1) Add sauce to meat or sauce on the side I cook pork ahead of time too, pull/chop and vacuum bag and then reheat, before I bag I sauce lightly with a vinegar/pepper sauce and then serve a sweet sauce and a carolina sauce on the side

hope this helps... I'll cook most anything people want though for the right price

That is great now tell me about what kind of service they provide, cost per dish...!
And what kind of service include in the catering service that will tell me in brief..!

Ahh great plan. That smell of boiling water and plastic should throw the crowd into a feeding frenzy:)

bigwheel said:
Ahh great plan. That smell of boiling water and plastic should throw the crowd into a feeding frenzy:)

I don't get no complaints!

Usually have chicken on the smoker while boiling... covers up the boiled plastic smell :LOL:

Gary in VA said:
I foodsaver and re-heat in the bag in boiling water. Keeps all the natural juices with the meat. Don't open the bag until ready to serve!

We have had good luck with the coverd half pan reheat deal. Reheat on a Traeger.

Pigs

I pull trailer in to event and light up the firebox and get the smell of bbq in the air...that puts eveyone into a bbq coma and they have no idea you heated your q in a bad or care for that matter.

Yep thats the ideal scenario but then it eventually dawn on a person they have to make a decision whether they are catering to make money or make smoke:) Seriously I attend many catered events and have yet to see a single one who brings the pit. Its cooked off site under propa and sanitary conditions and brought to the function in the Cambrio sideways ice chest deals. Rubbermaid is best and cheapest if you want to buy some last I looked anyhow. I trust the name brand. Now I know some who will drag a pit to the place but that cost a bunch more and then you have to give payola to the health goons to make it legal..blah blah blah. By the same token I aint never been to one where they broke at the baggies and crawdad pots either. There is something wrong with this pitcher. Now this do not apply to folks who live in Mayberry of course. Suspect you do whut you want around that neck of the woods:)

hawk wild bbq co said:
I pull trailer in to event and light up the firebox and get the smell of bbq in the air...that puts eveyone into a bbq coma and they have no idea you heated your q in a bad or care for that matter.

If you want to drive them nuts, hack up some cheap yellow onions and throw them on the fire with some hickory. The smell will drive them right over. :D Works every time.

Pigs

[/quote]

If you want to drive them nuts, hack up some cheap yellow onions and throw them on the fire with some hickory. The smell will drive them right over. :D Works every time.

Pigs[/quote]

Yeah I'd think so!

Very simple and quick answer first of all just ask them what you want to eat and how much you want according to them we are serving the food items..!

I give them smoked brisket or butts and rope sausage. Few dawgs for the kids. Sweet beans..buns..onyawn..pickles and japs etc. Cookies from the day old bread store and watermelon slices. Fella taught me how to slice a melon where one will feed 50 folks for dessert. 12 bucks a head with half the money up front. They can take it or leave it.

I will never go to an event and not fire up the smoker for them. That is why I built it and I do this for my love of bbq and the enjoyment of peoples reactions to having the pit on site for them to experience. I may pre-cook for convenience but it will ALWAYS return to the smoker before they get it. They pay good money for me to be there they deserve the full treatment IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom