Caterers Input needed badly - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > Catering Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #1
Pope O'Que

Caterers Input needed badly

Ive got a huge dilemma here. I am at a very close point of making purchase for a cooker so that I can cater larger parties. I had planned on an offset the whole time. After talking with a good friend he highly advised a pellet cooker because of the efficiency and how much less work there is involved and it still puts out award winning food. That sounds like pretty sound advice to me. I would like to hear some of your feedback on this. Im completely stumped in what way to go.....The efficiency/ less cost to run part of the pellet cooker plays big with me. Any help is greatly appreciated. Im completely stressed about this. Thanks. db

Member #1462
BBQ ........So easy a caveman could do it.....?

Never look your best friend in the eye while your makin' sausage.
dollarbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:47 PM   #2

Re: Caterers Input needed badly

Can you fit enough on a pellet cooker?

Old 02-19-2010, 03:56 PM   #3
Pope O'Que

Right now Im targeting corporate catering. So far I havent needed "more" space on my 18 and 22 wsm's. I would like to however get into doing bigger events such as company picnics, weddings etc. My head is spinnin' again.
Member #1462

Old 02-19-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
Official BBQ Central Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarbill
Right now Im targeting corporate catering. So far I havent needed "more" space on my 18 and 22 wsm's. I would like to however get into doing bigger events such as company picnics, weddings etc. My head is spinnin' again.
Gary, and a lot of others, have the Lang 84 and can do a BUNCH of product. But, they do have to attend to it a lot.

The Stumps is a good one to look at. http://www.stumpssmokersinc.com/

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/3674/platezi0.png
Bill The Grill Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
Graduate of BBQ Central

If it were me and I was looking to do big time catering I would look into one of the Commercial Traeger units.
http://www.traegercommercial.com/commercial/index.cfm
Traegernator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:51 PM   #6
Master of All

You can cook all your stuff on WSM and Pellet cookers, but you'll need a big pull behind pit to show people when you arrive on site and serve the food from. It's a presentation thing.

Kinda half-joking, and half not.
Weber Smokey Joe Gold ?

Weber Grill Decency Agent # KTL9352
ScottyDaQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:36 PM   #7
Cooker

I use an FEC for catering without issue. It's a great unit unit to use with good output and lesser input. No complaints from customer's side, or from my side, as they are less work to use. ScottDaQ is right on with the presentation thing, too. PM me, dollarbill, if I can help you at all!
Old 02-19-2010, 11:13 PM   #8
Official BBQ Central Mark

Well how serious is you about this venture and how much money do you have to spend? Seeming to recall your health goons is limited to non existent. There is a difference ya know?

bigwheel
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:22 PM   #9
BBQ NOOB

Whatever pit that you start with----you will always need a bigger one.

I stay away from BBQ pits that require electricity. We have done tons of catering where there is no electricity available---and generator noise is generator noise. Rottieserres with bearings and moving parts always break when they are running---they never break at home in your garage.

I am presently using a Bushrod upright smoker that holds about 400 pounds of meat. I also have an offset if I need to cook for more people. When we cater tri-tip we have a towable Santa Maria style grill that will hold 6 cases of tri tip.

It is nice to set the dial on a smoker and have it keep a steady temperature for hours, but I would make sure that I have every extra part that might be needed. Pellets may at some time be a supply issue if the pellet manufacturer goes broke or on strike etc. We just keep cutting logs.

Every smoker built has pros and cons.
Chuckwagonbbqco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:57 AM   #10
Pope O'Que

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienne
I use an FEC for catering without issue. It's a great unit unit to use with good output and lesser input. No complaints from customer's side, or from my side, as they are less work to use. ScottDaQ is right on with the presentation thing, too. PM me, dollarbill, if I can help you at all!
I completely agree on the presentation thing! Completely! I think seein a big off set pull up or just sitting there is instantly a conversation piece, not to mention the "coolness" factor. That was 100% my intentions until I talked with my buddy. The more I thought about it (pellet cooker) the more it really made sense. If Ive got a gig today and need meat ready for tomorrow too, I dont really have to worry about tending fire in an offset and as Adrienne said it produces quality food. Dam-it, I never thought spending thousands of $$$ would be this difficult. Im still completely stressed on the situation. Thank you guys for all of the input. If anyone else has input please share. Thanks again. db

Member #1462