Anyone use a credit card machine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dollarbill

Head Chef
Anyone use a credit card machine for catering biz? Im thinkin about gettin one (eventually). It makes alot of sense (to me) if I start to book office gigs. Let me know if you have experience in this. thanks.

I think it's probably cost prohibitive to get the machine, but if you open
a Paypal account, you can accept credit cards with just the fee from
Paypal.

Ya know, I didnt even think of that. Pay pal to me isnt "professional" enough though. Most larger businesses (i think) use credit cards so they dont have to bother with cuttin a check......I could be worng. thanx Cap.

true, but most caterers aren't large businesses, and
it's almost expected. I think there are monthly fees
plus the cost of the machine....I looked into it when
I was hoping to start a bbq joint.

I truly believe Paypal would be the most cost effective for
the occasional caterer.

I have a pay pal account on my website for anyone that wants to pay with a credit card. Works fer me. I've even had people/strangers stop at the pit assuming I took Credit cards, (which I don't), served them, gave them a business card and a total, and asked them to pay on line when they get home. So far, all have paid. (knocking on wood now).
dj

Wow! Must be some good folks in Main! Id probly try that too but Id probly get burned as well with my luck. Thank you for the input. Ill definately keep that in mind. I dont have a website yet. :cry: :D

I got a paypal account to.

Bad thin bout machines with the cards, ya pay fer the machine, ya pay a monthly fee AN they take bout 4% a yer sale! Paypal cheaper in the end.

I still like cash, easier ta hide! :D

I hear ya on the cash deal! But cash commin out of the corporate office buildings in Denver or anywhere for that matter is probably never going to happen. Having a mobile credit card machine, I can swipe their card right there and have the money instantly. Then all I'll have to do is show up with the food on the forcasted date.

The machines are about $25 per month and 1.65% of the sale.

Decisions, Decisions & Money. aaarrrggggghhh

Paypal will probably be the route but it just seems so unprofessional to me in that type of a setting.

when you set up the deal, just tell em credit card
orders must be taken in advance...no problem for
them....just take the credit card info over the phone
and use your paypal account to collect the money.
I think you can do it like that.

Captain Morgan said:
when you set up the deal, just tell em credit card
orders must be taken in advance...no problem for
them....just take the credit card info over the phone
and use your paypal account to collect the money.
I think you can do it like that.

Good idea but........I dont think it (paypal) will let me bill something to me. Ill look into that Cappy! Thanks again. great idea.

I'm a newbie to the forum and I hope you don't mind me jumping in. :) Airtran and Amazon are both large corporations and they utilize PayPal, I don't think it's seems unprofessional at all.

You are giving your customers the opportunity to pay using checks, debit or credit cards at minimal expense to you and maximum convenience to them. Sounds like a win/win situation.

If you have an iphone I believe they already have an app out for credit cards. Not sure about processing fees though.

Thanks you guys. No smart phone here. Seems you have to be smart to know how to use em' haha! Went with the company that Sams Club had a deal with. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom