A few newbie questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Bubba

Executive Chef
I have my first paying catering gig in a few weeks. A graduation party for my wife's godson with 250 people. Here's the menu:

Pulled pork
Chicken legs and thighs
Penne pasta w/meatballs
Parsley potatoes
Cold Pasta salad
Tossed salad
Baked beans
Buns and Italian bread w/butter

I am not supplying any beverage or place settings or dessert. Place has a kitchen with commercial stove so pasta will be easy and so will keeping things warm. I am going to charge them $12/person. Oh, pasta for the pasta salad was bought by them. All food to be served inside. I am figuring about 70 lbs of pulled pork so 140-150 lbs raw butts, 1 piece of chicken each, 4 oz pasta w/2 meatballs per person and about 4 oz for the remainder of the sides. Does all this seem about right, except for the price which is a little low but it is my wife's best friend and she is giving me this job to get started. Advice??? I am figuring on getting "legal" with the profits meaning getting a legal sink setup complete w/hot water and gray tank.

as you mentioned , your doing it at a lesser price because of family concenrs,,,,,3 entrees, 4 sides for $12 is a great price for them .. them meatballs, homemade, will take up alot of your time, as well as heating up the water for the pasta... and keeping it warm!!! I know there are geographic, and demographic differences between Ohio and NY, but I'd be leaning towards the $20 per person for that menu... maybe $18 in your area.. 2 meats, two sides, bread, utensils, in my area, is $15.. I think you're pretty much right on with your estimates for the meats...

Frozen meatballs...$24/10lbs. I am going to use emeril's method for pasta which is to get it done, let it sit , and then give it a 1-2 minute bath before going out. They have a big stove there so that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the input.

just make sure you do not, initally, cook the pasta , all the way.. Al dente, leaning towards a 6 minute time frame for the intial boiling, then dumping in an ice bath, will get you a pretty good finished product... don't forget to oil the pasta, after the initial cook, or you might have the dreaded clumpy sgetti!!! and if I might give you a suggestion for the sauce, I'm assuimg you're using canned, mix tomatoe sauce with whole tomatoes.. gives it a nice finished look... and fresh basil, in the sauce, will not hurt you ;).. and when you heat up the meatballs, if they are beef,might consider spinklin oregano on em,..... sage, for pork meatballs, for the homemade look ;)

Bobberqer said:
as you mentioned , your doing it at a lesser price because of family concenrs,,,,,3 entrees, 4 sides for $12 is a great price for them .. them meatballs, homemade, will take up alot of your time, as well as heating up the water for the pasta... and keeping it warm!!! I know there are geographic, and demographic differences between Ohio and NY, but I'd be leaning towards the $20 per person for that menu... maybe $18 in your area.. 2 meats, two sides, bread, utensils, in my area, is $15.. I think you're pretty much right on with your estimates for the meats...

You are right where I am Bob. Bubba agreed to the Moon because this is family. Kevin, you will prolly have alot of chicken leftover. I know we have to figure a portion on "everything" for "everyone" but the truth is, it just doesn't happen that way. Regular people just don't usually eat that much! I have seen folks eat one slice of brisket and 2 tbs of cole slaw. Also, I have seen some guys take 4 brisket sandwiches, and three cups of beans! Always have leftovers!

I would mention to them, family or not, that you are bring for example , 1 piece of chicken per person, 1 sandwich , per person, and so on , and so forth.... if they want more, let them tell you such.. Woody is right... it is a rare occasion with most mixed groups, that you run out of food... people always say they eat alot more than they really do... that plays against he biggest fear of a caterer, besides being on time, that you will run out of food.. might not be an issue in your case, ie family catering, but you know the ole saying.. " you can pick your friends, but you can't pick your family" :shock: Some loud mouth thrid cousin, twice removed, might just get under your skin after his 9th FREE BEER !!! BTDT !!!!! lol

I'd listen to Bob if I was catering, he's done a few! UB, is the godson graduating from med school? Man, 250 people! Good luck with the gig, I hope it works well for you!

Uncle Bubba said:
Frozen meatballs...$24/10lbs. I am going to use emeril's method for pasta which is to get it done, let it sit , and then give it a 1-2 minute bath before going out. They have a big stove there so that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the input.

I used to be a cook (not a chef) at an Italian restaurant (long ago) and that is what we used to do for serving pasta each day. ;)
At an event like this profit is not the main concern... hopefully someone their will want to hirs you because they ate there. Make your profit on them. :D

Thanks for the advice. It's not really blood family, just my wife's best friend for life. If there are leftovers she said she wouldn't mind at all and my wife will vacuum pack leftovers for them. She actually wants extra chicken. She said if we run out of anything she'll run to the store and buy hotdogs. Ultra low anxiety gig. The party is inside and I'll be outside away from the masses. The fact they have an oven will help me tremendously in that I can start the butts really early and then hold them and pull them as needed and I won't have to worry about them. Should be a great learning experience as well as a pretty profitable one.

Back
Top Bottom