40 lb Whole Pig

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Ron1

Senior Cook
This will be for a graduation luau. Never cooked on before, but I am sure I can do it. I need help from fine ladies and gents like you all. . .

1.) I am sure I need to go to a butcher, but what terms do I need to ask for? I have heard dressed, and splayed (backbone taken out) etc.
2.) How much $$ do these run, and how many should a 40 lb pig feed?
3.) I would just charge a flat rate for the hog, is this wrong?
4.) Should I offer more of a package deal with this or just do the pig as requested?
5.) What sides or condiments go with this?
6.) I have heard roughly 10 lbs per hour, I am budgeting 6 hours to cook this, (if I get this job) sound about right?

Please educate me!!

The one thing I know is a 40lb pig isn't going to yeild a lot of meat.
The smaller the pig the more cost per lb as well...

is that 40 lbs on the hoof? You'll get almost 11 lbs of cooked meat.

is that 40 lbs dressed? you'll get closer to 16 lbs of cooked meat.

Captain Morgan said:

I agree with Cappy. My spread sheet calculations show 14 # for a 40# dressed wt. However, that ratio of loss is for larger hogs, where a little piggy will yield even less. Plus, like wittdog said, instead of $1.50/# it jumps to $2.50/#
Little pigs are pricey. There is a break point where for the same money you can buy a larger pig and everybody takes some meat home.

Rag said:
Captain Morgan said:

I agree with Cappy. My spread sheet calculations show 14 # for a 40# dressed wt. However, that ratio of loss is for larger hogs, where a little piggy will yield even less. Plus, like wittdog said, instead of $1.50/# it jumps to $2.50/#
Little pigs are pricey. There is a break point where for the same money you can buy a larger pig and everybody takes some meat home.

What is this spread sheet calculation that you speak of ??

Bobberqer said:
Rag said:
Captain Morgan said:

What is this spread sheet calculation that you speak of ??

It's an Excel sheet that I made up that accepts variables like kill to dress wt loss, cook wt loose, purchase price, misc overhead costs, fuel costs, etc. AND provides profit, price per serving, cust price, yields, etc.
Not particularly user friendly but works for me and very adjustable.

Mitchell's used whole hogs at the Big Apple BBQ. When I asked about grill space versus the number of people he expected to feed, I got a wink in return.

The whole hogs (actually, 5 split and on 5 different pits) were for as much for show as for food. I was told that they had plenty of butts cooking around the sides to blend in with the pulled whole hog so they would have enough to feed the NY crowds. Everyone raved about their Q.

Depending on the number of people you have to feed, I would think this would be a great way to get the lbs of product you need and have the presentation of the pig as well.

-Chiles
(Still learning with every post)

Back
Top Bottom