Smoked deep fried turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddog27

Sous Chef
I read somewhere about people who smoke their turkey for a few hours and then deep fry it. That sounds really good. Does anyone have any recipes or tips on how to do this?
:eep:

What I've done in the past is set my WSM up, put some lump charcoal in there, light it, with only a couple pieces of smoking wood. I then put the turkey in for a couple hours.

While the turkey is in there, I set up the turkey fryer. I put oil in it and bring the oil up to temp. Upon removing the turkey from the smoker I deep fry it, until it's done.

Best dang turkey I've ever had.

Bruce B said:
What I've done in the past is set my WSM up, put some lump charcoal in there, light it, with only a couple pieces of smoking wood. I then put the turkey in for a couple hours.

While the turkey is in there, I set up the turkey fryer. I put oil in it and bring the oil up to temp. Upon removing the turkey from the smoker I deep fry it, until it's done.

Best dang turkey I've ever had.

Bruce, I've thought about that many times but never tried it. Now that I know it can be done, I'm gonna do it!

Why would anyone ruin a smoked turkey by frying it? I hate those things. Every says you haven't tasted mine, but I've tasted 100's over the years and they are all the same - dry, no flavor and all the dark meat burned up. Yuck!! I'll stick with my apple marinated, apple smoked bird - juicy and just full of flavor! =D>

txpgapro said:
Why would anyone ruin a smoked turkey by frying it? I hate those things. Every says you haven't tasted mine, but I've tasted 100's over the years and they are all the same - dry, no flavor and all the dark meat burned up. =D>

You haven't tasted mine!!! :D

txpgapro said:
Why would anyone ruin a smoked turkey by frying it? I hate those things. Every says you haven't tasted mine, but I've tasted 100's over the years and they are all the same - dry, no flavor and all the dark meat burned up. Yuck!! I'll stick with my apple marinated, apple smoked bird - juicy and just full of flavor! =D>

Mine has come out just fine and jucy , with the perfect skin , all I do is apply Tony Chachere`s Cajun seasoning let stand 30 mins, and I use peanut oil . This year I had had at least 3 others asking me to fry turkey`s for them.

Ive fried turkeys, and Ive had smoked turkey...both were very good, but I think Id rather smoke one than deal with the oil mess..just as good in its own way !

Back
Top Bottom