Okra Poppers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
40 medium size okra
8 oz pepper jack cheese, cut into 40 strips
3 cups buttery finely crushed crackers
3/4 cup all purpose flower
2 large eggs
1 cup half and half

Rinse the okra in cold water, and pat dry with paper towels..Cut okra lengthwise and stuff with a piece of the cheese. Cover and chill for 30 minutes. Combine crackers, flour andyour favorite rub. In a seperate bowl, combine the eggs and the half and half. Dredge the okra, dip in the egg mixutre, then roll in the crackers, coating all sides well.
Fry at 350 for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden..fry about 8 at a time.
Drain on paper towels, and serve with ranch dressing, blue cheese dressing, and/or salsa.

Finney said:
I love fried okra now. Growing up I thought it was terrible. Boy I was a dumb kid. #-o

I love okra everyway you can cook it, fried is my favorite though!! When I was growing up in NC, we ate it all the time! Mmmmmmmm!

Finney said:
txpgapro said:
Pickled Texas style!! Oh yeow! :grin:
What makes it Texas style? :) :) :)

It must be BIG okra!

My wife gets the "Taste of Texas" pickled okra all the time and it's good. But we bought some other pickled okra on vacation and it wasn't any different than the TX stuff!!

Mords said:
ok guys...your gonna have to teach me somethign again...whats up with the Okra.. i just saw it in the store for the first time....its slimy? ppl dont like it...what kinda "thing" is it.....deep frying is sounds great

Mords, Okra is a seed filled pod. You eat seeds and all. Depending on how it is cooked okra can become slimy during the cooking process. The best way to cook it is to cut into 'coins' coat with either flour and cornmeal or just flour and fry in a pan. Of course this explination is very simplified, but will get you started in the right direction.

Frying will eliminate the slimey effect. Not that it bothers me. My neighbor sauteed up some this weekend and brought it to me. More snot for me.

Maybe, but anything okra ~ It's just the thought...Kinda like black pudding from England! :eek: :eek:

BTW, you get all your pieces parts for your WSM?

Okra of any kind is delicious! I love it and miss getting it fresh from my dad's garden. I've tried buying the canned or frozen stuff from the grocery and seems like it's always tough and stringy........NOT good! The pre-breaded frozen stuff isn't bad and my daughter will eat it with me. Cooked any other way they turn up their noses. I also love pickled okra and every now and then can find it around here.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom