Of all the fried foods (oreo not being a food) Why no Fried

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surfinsapo

Master Chef
Re: Of all the fried foods (oreo not being a food) Why no Fr

Mango said:
Chicken recipes? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

:roll: ;)

I have been wanting to make fried chicken. Like I use to make when I worked for the Colonel a long long long time ago. I sure want to enjoy country fried chicken. Any of you have a recipe or two?
My friend from Georgia might have one. I'll ask hime tonight... 8)

Mine is nothing like KFC. I do it the same as my mother and grandmother. Just wash the chicken, the flour it (I put seasonings in the flour, either a cajun spice mix or Lawry's), then fry covered in a cast iron skillet, turning occasionally until done. It doesn't have a thick crunchy battered type crust on it.

Realizing you have probably found your recipe and eaten your chicken, I am still posting this recipe. Thsi is how we made fried chicken when I was a kid in the Mountains of Virginia. The recipe was our nieghbors, I use that term loosely as they lived about a half mile away but the closest house to us. There are no measurements but that how I have it.

Fried Chicken

Chicken pieces, you decide
Buttermilk
Mustard
Flour, you can spice the flour with whatever you like; Cayenne isn't bad. Salt and pepper is normal.
Crisco shortening or vegetable oil

Place chicken pieces in a large glass or ceramic bowl. Mix together buttermilk and mustard and pour over chicken. Cover and place in your refrigerator fridge for at least three hours. This can also be done the day before.

Remove chicken pieces from the buttermilk mixture and roll in seasoned flour. Shake off the extra flour and place chicken pieces on a plate. Not touching is preferred.

In a cast iron skillet melt enough Crisco to fill the skillet 1/3 full. Total depth of Crisco should be at least 1/2 of the height of your largest chicken piece. Heat to medium.

Without crowding the chicken pieces, carefully add prepared chicken to the hot Crisco. Allowing room around each piece will allow the chicken to cook evenly. Also make sure the Crisco is not to hot as the outside will be done before the inside is cooked.

Turn pieces only once during cooking. When the chicken is golden brown and crispy it is done. You should test one piece by cutting into it with a knife. If juices run clear, the chicken is done.

Remove chicken from skillet and place on paper towels or napkins before serving.

Enjoy! I love fried chicken and the older I get the more my Dr cringes at my eating habits.

Try this one from the Frugal Gourmet. Not for those concerned about the bacon fat. Very flavorful.

FRIED CHICKEN IN BACON FAT

1 Chicken, about 3 ½ lbs, cut up
2 cups of flour
1 tablespoon of salt
2 teaspoons of paprika
1 teaspoon of fresh black pepper
1 tablespoon of poultry seasoning
1 cup of bacon fat

Mix the flour with the seasonings and dredge the chicken in the coating. Pan-fry in the preheated bacon fat using medium heat. Turn the chicken until golden brown and done to your taste. Drain well on paper towels before serving.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom