Lard fried pig skins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Boy...now..I discussed this issue with some old timers many moons ago. They claim pork skin make its own lard. Hopefully you aint back into the swamp cabbage or something.

Well that makes sense thanks. I imagine some offering the tips was also maybe used to dealing with a lot fatter hawgs than we got nowadays. Used to drive Joe Ames nuts because of skinny hawgs and cluckers brought to market too early to have developed any flavor.

BW, that's if you have aquired your pork skin fresh off the slaughtered hog with all the fat still attached.

You're right about the fatter hogs. I saw this process done on an Andrew Zimmern Bizzare Foods. Seems like they did it up in PA and I'm pretty sure is was a heritage breed hog. They took the fat off down to the flesh and left it attached to the skin, cut it up into smaller pieces and started cooking in last years lard. Periodically they'd take out some of the new lard that was growing in the kettle and keep cooking till the skins were crispy. Then take them out and add more and continue the process.

I've also seen it done where they start the process in boiling water and let the lard cook out and then as the water boils off it's replaced by the lard.

Sounds good. Love cracklings with hot sauce. Hopefully the Boy mail out a few free samples. Watched a segment on the Travel Channel I think..just the other night. They showed one restaurant which specially raised Heritage free roaming hawgs for their pushed pork sandwiches. Seems like they got voted the best or ranked high anyway.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom