Deep Fried Turkey How To

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BayouChilehead

Senior Cook
I would like to mention that I am not a pro at this but this is the way I learned how to deep fry a turkey and it has worked for years. If there is anything I missed I welcome any suggestions and/or criticism.

First get the neck, gizzard and liver pack out of the turkey.

Then take out any plastic:

Put turkey in pot and fill with water to top of turkey:

Pull turkey out and notice where the water level is, this is where you will fill the oil to:

Dry the pot thoroughly.

Now dry the turkey and tuck the wings back:

And tie the legs:

This is a good investment:

It will regulate the flame on the burner to the temperature you set:

This is the turkey right after setting it in:

Resting for 10-15 minutes:

Half of the turkey cut up and ready to serve:

I used this injector recipe in the turkey:

Beer n' Butter Poultry Injection
Ingredients:
• 1/2 pound butter
• 1/2 can beer
• 2 tablespoons salt
• 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
• 2 tablespoons Tabasco
• 1 tablespoon soy sauce
• 2 teaspoons garlic powder
• 2 teaspoons onion powder
Preparation:
Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan over a low heat. Stir and heat until salt is dissolved and the sauce is even and runny. Keep warm (but not hot) to inject.

excellent how to....what's the details on that gadget thingy?

I would only add to go to great lengths to dry the pot after
the water level test,
and again with the turkey.

Captain Morgan said:
excellent how to....what's the details on that gadget thingy?

You can purchase them here:
http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/cb001_ ... _valve.htm

It is an automatic temperature control. You set the temperature you want and when the probe that comes with it that you put in the oil senses that temperature and it will lower the flame for you when it reaches teh set temp. Now I have noticed that it is not exact. Watch the dial thermometer that comes with the turkey frying kit,if it goes futher than the set temp on the knob you need to adjust the knob down on the temp or just the opposite if it doesn't reach set temp. Just keep a close eye on it the first few time you use it and then you will know what to set it on.

I would only add to go to great lengths to dry the pot after
the water level test,
and again with the turkey.

I did mention drying the turkey but I made an edit to include the pot. Good catch thanks!!

Great instructions Chet. I need one of those regulators. Your turkey turned out awesome! :D

Nick Prochilo said:
BayouChilehead said:
nakedpigbbq said:
That looks great! Does anyone know if you could take a whole fryer and do the same thing with it?

They make screw on spikes (set of three) http://www.turkey-fryers-online.com/rep ... er_set.htm that attach to the bottom of the turkey rack. You just prepare your chicken, stick them on the spikes and fry'em.

Website syas "discontinued".

I will contact the company on Monday (not open on weekends) and find out where I can find them. I did a search online and all point back to them. I will post my findings when I know something.

Does look good. Sure wished the warden would let me fry turkeys again some day. I think where I screwed up was measuring the liquid level with the turkey still in the bag. Anyway when I dunked it got an overflow situation..had neighbors running for fire extinguishers and the daughter on the phone fixing to call 911 and the flames inched toward the back door. Now I bought a big 40 box of cottonseed oil thinking we could use it in the house. Whew that stuff give me bad indigestion sorta like Canola oil. Give it to a fella who wanted to fry a turkey but didnt have no grease. He priced Peanut oil and chickened..er I mean turkied out. I'm nice huh?

bigwheel

nakedpigbbq said:
Any suggestions for a turkey fryer? I have the propane burner and simply just need the big pot without having to buy the tank, burner, etc. Didn't know if one was any better than the other.

Well the aluminum ones spread the heat better but will turn black on the bottom and if you leave the oil in there with the seasoning too long it will pit the aluminum. Stainless doesn't heat as evenly but it won't pit or stain. I have an aluminum one and have not had any problems. The kits are between $40 and $70 dollars depending on type of pot you get (Aluminum or Stainless) and the burners some of the kits have the vertical pot support so it can't just slide off. This is the time of year to find them on sale at Wally world, home of depo, Lowes, basspro, academy.....and so on. Hope you find one you like and post pics of the first fry!!

Well I have a Texas sized turkey frying pot. It's a 15 gallon SS beer keg Bud...with the top cut out by a drunk welder using a plazma arc cutter. Never got around to using it yet but figger it could do a small flock if a person put the mind to it and could afford enough grease to fill it up.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom