cheese sticks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaleP

Sous Chef
Made my first attempt at cheese sticks the other day in my new deep fryer. Didnt come out so well so if anyone has a good recipe, feel free to help me out!

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 (12-ounce) can soda water
1/2 cup rice flour, for dredging
Beer can be used, But for cheese and Twinkies soda works best.
No more than 350 on the oil temp. I find 325 works best for cheese. Also put the cheese in the freezer one hour prior to frying. Cut the strips first. That way they don't blow there cheesy guts threw the batter.A 1/4 tsp of old bay is good in the batter also.

I would say freezing the cheese for a while is essential...it ain't gonna take long for that to ooze through the crust and make a mess!

:idea:

quality cheese and especially aged or firmer cheese *might* do a little better than an economy block as well

more and more I find myself getting my cheese from the deli .... some of the value brands of mozza or even cheddar I've tried are so darn soft I can't really grate it ... it just crumbles or mushes against the grater

Well the cheese I used must have been too soft. I did freeze the cheese but when I fried them all the cheese oozed out and was stuck to the basket, but I had the best looking cheese stick shells youve ever seen.

Back
Top Bottom