Best pot for turkey fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pcmancini

Assistant Cook
Hi all, this is my first post. I am looking for recommendations (make and model, with link if you have it) for a high quality pot to use for frying a turkey - in the 14-17 lbs range. I have done turkey's before using a converted beer keg with the top chopped off (designed primarily to steam a half bushel of crabs) so I have all the needed equipment.

The keg works great but requires alot of oil (which adds $$ to the effort) and I wanted to get something a little smaller, especially since I will only be doing this 2-3 times a year and not saving the oil.

I have searched online seen some of those models that also come with a steamer basket (which I could use for other purposes) and that would be ideal if one of those works.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

First thing, when you buy a pot, take it to a welding shop right off the bat and have them weld a half inch thick piece of aluminum, or what ever the pot is made out of to add to the longevity of the pot.

2nd, if you use the oil just once, well you didn't think ahead, and just wasted a bunch of money. You can put this oil in the refrigerator, or even in the freezer to keep for your next cook. I would not keep longer than 6 months, but if you are using it once, well, yeah.

As for the type. Most hold up pretty well. Bayou's are nice if you intend on spending around $150 - $200 for everything, if you are just looking for a pot, try amazon they normally have good prices. As for the pots themselves most are the same thing just different name brands, if anything I would look for one that has a heavier gauge of aluminum. But with those you are going to be paying a hefty price. The better the pot is the more the cost.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom