WSM 18"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeeRich

Sous Chef
OK, third time lucky.

It's obviously too windy where I live to have the Brinkmann work properly, especially with the top not sealing tight.

Enter Stage Right WSM 18".

I visited Ontario Gas BBQ, which has a huge showroom. Very nice place, but it's a good 30 minutes away. I recommend visiting this place, or any showroom. Very impressive, and it would have probably told me to avoid the Brinkmann. Toronto traffic sucks.

So question for the group: Should I cure this smoker before putting meat into it? Reason being, I have 2 butts I'd like to put on this evening.

Impressions of the WSM: You can instantly experience the quality of this product, as the Brinkmann is just flimsy. I haven't put it together yet, but it being shipped with the proper hardware is not only expected, but appreciated. My Brinkmann hardware still isn't here yet, and I've replaced it with local hardware. What a drag that is.

Cheers

I didn't season mine first time out, but be aware of higher temps. One yiu get some soot built up on the inside and its not so nice and shiny, the temp will settle down. Comming from a guy who went from a Brinkman to a WSM, you'll absolutly love it and wonder why you ever wasted your time dicking around with the Brinkman.

Thanks for the notes. Huge downpour today, so nothing tonight. I'll be putting it together this afternoon.

Cheers

WSM's don't need seasoning. But the more you cook some
greasy smoky food, the better it gets. Feel free to eat what
ever you cook the first time.

Well she's put together. quite impressed. Very solid.

The Brinkmann is like a Dacia/Yugo, and the Weber is like a Porsche 911. Heat shield was a bit tricky though. I think the Brinkmann is also smaller than the WSM 18. I'll take some pictures side by each.

Cheers

I sprayed mine with PAM the first time and burned a 350* fire in it for about 4hrs...it was fine from there!

Nick, trade you for your avatar? She has some nice pork butts up front.

UPDATE: Butts going on in 20 minutes. I have no cider to inject, but that should be fine. I have 2 butts totalling about 18 pounds. CDN$39 worth of meat. Oh what fun!

I now have 3 cookers on my deck. Neighbours must think I'm crazy.

Came upstairs to get the video camera. Gonna be some fun tonight. I get to check on it every so often to see how she's doin.

OK gotta get some sleep before tomorrow. Big day.

Cooker temps

10:00 pm 100°F
12:00 am 210°F
1:17 am 190°F (opened all vents full)
2:00 am 200°F
3:00 am 220°F
4:00 am 230°F (shoved remote thermoprobe in, it reads 155°F)

JB said on Youtube somewhere that 8 pounds of charcoal can go 20 hours in a WSM. Now is that a 18" or a 22"?

Anybody know how much I should be shoving into this thing? I started with a pretty full chimney, which I will reduce the next time. Bags come 18 pounds, so I might aim for thirds or half, if it will do. It doesn't look like it's even half used, and it's been going for 6 hours. At night you can see the steam better than in the day, with a single light. Smells great.

Cheers

It's in my mouth. Heh.

5:00 am 250 (meat at 170)
6:00 zzzzzz
7:00 zzzzzz sort of (meat at 188)
7:20 meat off (190)

She's still in foil, but I grabbed a chunk, and it's quite good. I didn't inject with cider, and I want to start spraying it as well.

Truth comes out later. No snake involved.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom