The Initial Bubba Keg Review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CrazyQ..it is totally stable. There are two different hitch bars that come with the unit. Pick the right size for your hitch and the slide it in...use the included twist locks and you are ready to go. Unless YOU do something wrong (like with everything) the Bubba Keg aint going anywhere!

Yo Greg,
Its been about 5 months...I cannot find any pictures, and theres no review of the low and slow cooking.
I would be interested in a update on this.
A great day to you all!

Medo,

In-Zone is in the process of coming out with a new version of The Bubba Keg. I have some calls/emails in to the product manager to get a more in-depth update. I will let you know as soon as I hear something.

It's been renamed Big Steel Keg (BSK). Trailer hitch will now be an option instead of standard. A cover will now be available for it and the color has changed too (no longer silver but bronze).

They have been promising a diffuser for indirect for 6 months now but it keeps getting delayed for whatever reason, but it's not a big deal to come up with something in the meantime. a BGE platesetter, a Weber or brinkmann water pan whatever.

I'm selling my performer this year and buying a big steel keg. I won't be ditching the WSM but I'll be doing most of my cooking on the BSK.

I put in a call to In-zone...my original contact, product manager Drew Keenan, is no longer with the company...I left a message for the new person to give me a call back to talk about the re-brand of this product.

4261450462_7d555239a2_o.jpg

I was in Home Depot (actually 2 different HDs) in Richmond VA and saw the old style, gray Bubba Keg for $449.99, seems like a very good price, I just pass it along for what it's worth.

There's a 'Silver' version, similar concept to Weber silver kettle, Keg coming next near at a better price point. No shelves, cover or CI grate (crappy nickel plate lower grate), not hitch adaptable, cheaper 'cart'. Charcoal finish.

Current model BSK 'gold' remains same, getting 304SS hardware (screws).

I was just at my local Lowes in C-bus. I saw an insulated cooker by Chargriller called the Akron Kamado Kooker. It looks pretty well made and some folks on another forum are saying it is a great cooker especially for a price point of $299. Has anyone used one of these yet?

I've only seen the original one about 3 years ago at my local Lowe's. It was pretty hokey and didn't look to well built. I'd stick to a WSM.

Tri Tip said:
I've only seen the original one about 3 years ago at my local Lowe's. It was pretty hokey and didn't look to well built. I'd stick to a WSM.
I'll have to agree.

Except for the WSM, anything I have paid less than about 5 or 6 hundred dollars for didn't last long enough to make it worthwhile. Again, except for the WSM, I'll never buy anything that cheap again.

BOB

Back
Top Bottom