Poor customer service with Rock's BBQ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cflatt

Sous Chef
Yeah it's been a while since I have posted. Life get's busy, etc...

Years back I purchased one of the original Stokers (non wifi). It has held up pretty well over time, though I do tend to baby it. It has come in handy when things get really busy and sleep and family time win out. I even recommended one to my brother and he purchased one after the wifi version came out.

When I made the original purchase I was going to put in some permanent wiring so I emailed Rocks to ask if there was a maximum distance before the signal degraded. After 4 emails with no reply I gave up trying. I also found out months later that one of the extra temp probes I ordered was faulty and couldn't be calibrated. I take responsibility for that as I am certain they would've replaced it had I checked it when I first got it.

Fast forward to this past month. On Sept 2 I placed an order for a new WSM fan adapter kit (just the hardware) and the brackets that allow you to place the lid on the lower bowl and use it like a grill. This was going to come in handy for an upcoming trip.

The order processed instantly and 2 weeks later I received it USPS. Except parts were missing. I took a couple of pics and emailed them along with a nice email and asked if they could get the missing parts out. 48 hours later I finally get a short response saying that they will send out my WSM parts. That was basically it. 10 days later I still have nothing so I emailed and simply let him know that I was disappointed in the service and would like to know the status.

30 days after the original order, 2 weeks after I was promised the missing parts, 5 days after my last email, I get an email with a "sincere apology" stating that it will go out today...USPS.

In the grand scheme of life it's not a big deal, I get that. But when I order something over 35 days out for a trip and more than likely it won't be here for it...and simply because someone couldn't send out the parts when they say. It deserves a mention.

I won't go all stupid and say that I will never purchase again from them. That would be stupid. I own the Stoker and if temp probes break then I have to get them there. BUT, when it does give up the ghost I see a guru in my future.

Other than that the play was fine Mrs. Lincoln. Hope all is well with everyone.

That is a similar reason as to why I now own a Guru. I have a Stoker and a bunch of probes and fans, but the Stoker itself needs something repaired, but I can get NO response from them/him. Yeah, I know I'd have to pay for the repairs, but with no response, what can I do?

I wish you'd posted this about a month ago...I had a WSM adapter that I used the parts for things completely unrelated.:(

Good to know I have several Gurus, but have thought about a Stoker ... No more, I despise poor customer service, slow and no response to email is inexcusable!

Bob,

Is yours having the issue where it doesn't find the temp or blower probes ? I am now having to reset mine with every use. I will have to tske it into the office one day and try updating the software. I can't do it at home since all computers are mac.

Bob,

Is yours having the issue where it doesn't find the temp or blower probes ? I am now having to reset mine with every use. I will have to tske it into the office one day and try updating the software. I can't do it at home since all computers are mac.
Some times it boots up just fine, other times the display sits there with "8888888" and nothing else. Unless they just (last 6 months?) came out with a new "update" that's not it for mine. It was working perfectly for several years, then just slowly started having problems. I thought it was the power supply and borrowed one from a friend, and my supply worked great on his Stoker, and I had the same problems with his power supply.

I have BBQ Guru's Cyber-Q2, and have no problems at all (unless I forget to put a pit probe inside...:(:(:()

I do not know why a person cant cook bbq without all the crazy gadgets. What is up here?

I do not know why a person cant cook bbq without all the crazy gadgets. What is up here?

Most of the time I love tending the fire and letting the wsm do its thing. Sometime though life kicks in and trusting the kids to tend it....or my wife, is just out of the question. At that time it sure does come in handy.

'Cuz some of us like gadgets.
'Cuz some of us have to do other things sometimes besides sit around and drink beer.:|:oops::razz::drinkers:
'Cuz some of us don't like to tend a fire all day and all night.

I too have an early Stoker (they tell me it is one of the first ten they ever built) and I recently attempted to update the firmware. My anti-virus software kicked in right in the middle of the process, "bricking" the Stoker. Rock's fixed it for their standard $12 upgrade fee, even though the process was more complicated than the typical upgrade. Yes, it took me several emails and a couple of phone calls to get the Stoker fixed and back in my hands, and it took longer than I think it should have, so I wasn't 100% satisfied. I'd give them a "C-" for customer service for this one. But overall they have treated me well, filled my orders promptly, and have been good to deal with if/when you can get them on the phone.

Envelope arrived today with not one but 2 sets of the bolt/washers. That will allow me to take it on this trip so that is all good.

I don't see needing the extra set in the near future so if anyone out there has the blower and adapter and needs/ wants the extra set let me know. If it's before Monday afternoon I will drop it in the mail to you. Anything after Monday afternoon will have to wait until I return on the 20th.

NO doubt Guru all the way! I have heard nothing but good things from them. Only other one I would consider is the iGrill.

I too am disappointed with Rock's customer service. My probes stopped registering during my last cook (about a month ago) so I emailed them on 9/17. They responded very quickly and said to send back the blower and probes and they would check for a faulty probe.

I mailed them back on 9/18 and they were scheduled to be delivered to their factory on 9/20. A notice was left to pick up at the post office, and they were finally delivered on 9/25. I have emailed 3-4 times asking about the status and if they received the probes, but haven't heard anything. I have no idea if they received them, tested them, etc, but I am unable to use my Stoker in the meantime...Had I known it would be a month (or more) to have them checked out, I would have continued to try and use them (they would work periodically if I wiggled them, etc.)...

Hopefully someone will see this and get back to me as I have a couple cooks scheduled and my Stoker is useless now...Time to start looking for an alternative temperature control system and I'm not sure if I'll ever hear back from them!

Not sure they read here. I am pretty sure they check in at the virtual forum though
That be the virtual weber bulleton board, in the section about automatic temperature controls. Start a new thread if ya go over there, so it won't get lost in the thousands of posts.

Back
Top Bottom