Nu-Temp vs Maverick ET-73

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg Rempe

Web Celeb
Moderator Emeritus
Great review Cruise...I was surprised to see that the Nu-Temp was your choice! In my business, if you are making a list of +'s and -'s you typically buy the one with less -'s...

I have goten away from the remote therms recently...stared using on old Weber replacement therm in the GURU Eyelet hole...works well for me!

Again, thanks for the in-depth review!! =D>

I've searched the web and I'm amazed at the limited selection. It appears that the assortment is limited to either instant or remote-wireless. Am I missing something?

Is the market dominated by Redi-Chek, Nu-temp and Maverick?

PantherTailgater said:
I've searched the web and I'm amazed at the limited selection. It appears that the assortment is limited to either instant or remote-wireless. Am I missing something?

It's worse than you think......

Redi-Chek is Maverick!!!!!

Finney said:
PantherTailgater said:

It's worse than you think......

Redi-Chek is Maverick!!!!!

Dang. So it's either VERY simple or full-featured remote........

I was amazed when I came up with nothing when I searched for an analog or digital temperature display without all of the features. It appears that it would be impractical to try making your own because the cost of purchasing the indivudual components would make the total cost more expensive than buying the mass-produced units available. I may end up purchasing one with a single input for the internal food temp and relying on the grill temp guage for the other temp.

Just thought it was strange that there was such a small selection.

Im on my second Maverick....Its excellant when it works, but I agree there's some serious quality control issues. If I could find a better quality unit with the same features as the Maverick, Id buy it in a heartbeat...

Just Curious.

Does anyone know what type of sensors are used with these units......thermocouple, RTD, Thermister??? I looked for specs on the untis but didn't really see anything.

Please excuse my rudeness, but Nu-Temp and Maverick are JUNK! Now let me explain, You spend so much time fooling around with the tiny screws on the Nu-Temp while changing the batteries, plus no mater what brand batteries you buy, there good for about 2 weeks max before they cross signals and who knows what probe is reading what, ie 1 vs 2 transmitters. Also NO on - off switch. Thought of getting a Maverick, but after all the hassle that wittdog had and what I have read on other boards and forums, I'll pass. I know that allot of you folks use these with no problems. It was a total waste of money for me. Guess it's back to knowing your pit and knowing what to do and when to do it. works for me.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Please excuse my rudeness, but Nu-Temp and Maverick are JUNK! Now let me explain, You spend so much time fooling around with the tiny screws on the Nu-Temp while changing the batteries, plus no mater what brand batteries you buy, there good for about 2 weeks max before they cross signals and who knows what probe is reading what, ie 1 vs 2 transmitters. Also NO on - off switch. Thought of getting a Maverick, but after all the hassle that wittdog had and what I have read on other boards and forums, I'll pass. I know that allot of you folks use these with no problems. It was a total waste of money for me. Guess it's back to knowing your pit and knowing what to do and when to do it. works for me.

Chris you traditional Rascal you! :roll: First of all, Mavericks are not Junk, that is your opinion of them as it is most stuff you talk about that you've never tried! :shock: I have had two sets of ET-73s for a number of years and have only replaced the batteries about once a year and that's using them ALOT. And I have never had a problem with either one. I don't know a thing about Nu-Temps, but I know people that have them as well and they really like them.

As far as know your pit and temps, how does knowing your pit and temps help you get a good night sleep during a windy or rainy or snowing night while your pit is humming along?? IT WON'T. You have to climb out of bed to go check on the pit. With the Maverick it will sound an alarm if a problem arises. So..................... [smilie=a_takethatfoo.gif]

I have both Maverick and Nu-Temp. I like both and both work well.

The Nu-Temp does have better range, but that is a drawback when around a lot of other people using them.

We've had 6 Mavericks within 30ft of each other without any cross talk. If a Nu-temp get close to another Nu-Temp, you will get cross talk.

My Maverick ET-73 is a true workhorse. I've experienced none of the problems discussed in this forum or others. The ET-73, IMHO, is the best product for it's price. It's ease of use and functionality are surpassed by none.

Give it a try!! It's worth it.

Greg Rempe said:
I think only the Thermapen uses a thermocouple...the others are lower grade units...I think... :idea:

You may be right but I suspect that most are thermocouples. They are the least expensive temp sensors with the widest range.

My profession is industrial controls and I've been playing around with thermocouples and thermisters(temp range too narrow) for a home project I'm planning.

I'm hoping to have a microcontroller that will feed the temp info from at least three to four sources on the grill (food, 2 cooking surface locations and ambiant) to a windows program on my wireless LAN. JThe project is in the early stages but it has been fun investigating different temperature sensors.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom