Nu-Temp vs Maverick ET-73 - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Links/Special Deals/Product Reviews > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2005, 09:51 AM   #1
Web Celeb

Great review Cruise...I was surprised to see that the Nu-Temp was your choice! In my business, if you are making a list of +'s and -'s you typically buy the one with less -'s...

I have goten away from the remote therms recently...stared using on old Weber replacement therm in the GURU Eyelet hole...works well for me!

Again, thanks for the in-depth review!! =D>

Old 08-13-2005, 09:53 AM   #2
Official BBQ Central Mark

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Rubbed, Smoked, and Sauced Competition BBQ Team-
22 1/2" WSM, 2 18 1/2" WSM's, 22 1/2" Weber Kettle
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:46 PM   #3
Cooker

I've searched the web and I'm amazed at the limited selection. It appears that the assortment is limited to either instant or remote-wireless. Am I missing something?

Is the market dominated by Redi-Chek, Nu-temp and Maverick?
PantherTailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherTailgater
I've searched the web and I'm amazed at the limited selection. It appears that the assortment is limited to either instant or remote-wireless. Am I missing something?

It's worse than you think......

Redi-Chek is Maverick!!!!!

"Of all the imaginary friends I've had, I don't think there was one that I didn't end up having to kill."

in seach of Umami
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:10 PM   #5
Cooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finney
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherTailgater

It's worse than you think......

Redi-Chek is Maverick!!!!!
Dang. So it's either VERY simple or full-featured remote........

I was amazed when I came up with nothing when I searched for an analog or digital temperature display without all of the features. It appears that it would be impractical to try making your own because the cost of purchasing the indivudual components would make the total cost more expensive than buying the mass-produced units available. I may end up purchasing one with a single input for the internal food temp and relying on the grill temp guage for the other temp.

Just thought it was strange that there was such a small selection.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:57 PM   #6

Im on my second Maverick....Its excellant when it works, but I agree there's some serious quality control issues. If I could find a better quality unit with the same features as the Maverick, Id buy it in a heartbeat...
john pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:20 PM   #7
Cooker

Just Curious.

Does anyone know what type of sensors are used with these units......thermocouple, RTD, Thermister??? I looked for specs on the untis but didn't really see anything.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:37 AM   #8
Web Celeb

I think only the Thermapen uses a thermocouple...the others are lower grade units...I think...
Old 02-16-2007, 08:06 AM   #9

Please excuse my rudeness, but Nu-Temp and Maverick are JUNK! Now let me explain, You spend so much time fooling around with the tiny screws on the Nu-Temp while changing the batteries, plus no mater what brand batteries you buy, there good for about 2 weeks max before they cross signals and who knows what probe is reading what, ie 1 vs 2 transmitters. Also NO on - off switch. Thought of getting a Maverick, but after all the hassle that wittdog had and what I have read on other boards and forums, I'll pass. I know that allot of you folks use these with no problems. It was a total waste of money for me. Guess it's back to knowing your pit and knowing what to do and when to do it. works for me.
Team Gruber Mister BBQ
KCBS Citified Judge 8282
Tomorrow is just your future yesterday
Pigs On The Wing BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigs On The Wing BBQ
Please excuse my rudeness, but Nu-Temp and Maverick are JUNK! Now let me explain, You spend so much time fooling around with the tiny screws on the Nu-Temp while changing the batteries, plus no mater what brand batteries you buy, there good for about 2 weeks max before they cross signals and who knows what probe is reading what, ie 1 vs 2 transmitters. Also NO on - off switch. Thought of getting a Maverick, but after all the hassle that wittdog had and what I have read on other boards and forums, I'll pass. I know that allot of you folks use these with no problems. It was a total waste of money for me. Guess it's back to knowing your pit and knowing what to do and when to do it. works for me.
Chris you traditional Rascal you! First of all, Mavericks are not Junk, that is your opinion of them as it is most stuff you talk about that you've never tried! I have had two sets of ET-73s for a number of years and have only replaced the batteries about once a year and that's using them ALOT. And I have never had a problem with either one. I don't know a thing about Nu-Temps, but I know people that have them as well and they really like them.

As far as know your pit and temps, how does knowing your pit and temps help you get a good night sleep during a windy or rainy or snowing night while your pit is humming along?? IT WON'T. You have to climb out of bed to go check on the pit. With the Maverick it will sound an alarm if a problem arises. So..................... [smilie=a_takethatfoo.gif]

Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote