Need some help picking a gas BBQ - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Links/Special Deals/Product Reviews > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-03-2014, 12:30 PM   #1
BBQ NOOB
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 7
Need some help picking a gas BBQ

Hi everyone.

I'm kind of new to the scene, and I've never owned a gas bbq before. Being that I live in a city and a charcoal bbq isn't an option for me (neighbours and such), I've been looking into buying a gas one.

Since I'm no expert, and I can't afford to spend a lot of money on it, I've been considering one of these 2 models:

barbecook® gas grill : Brahma 2.0 Ceram

and

Manua 2 gas BBQ from Barbecook - The Barbecue Store

(the second one is also from Barbecook, but it doesn't appear on their website and I can't find another site in english that has the specs)

The Brahma 2.0 is a little bit more expensive, and I kind of like it more, but the reviews I've managed to find were a bit all over the place (most of the complaints seemed to be about the heat not being equal all over the grill).

In short, what should I look for in a cheap-ish/beginners gas BBQ, and do you guys think any of the 2 above are any good?

Any and all help is appreciated.
__________________

Hamster-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #2
Saint O'Que
 
Bob In Fla.'s Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: O-Town, Florida
Posts: 1,115
Weber
__________________

__________________
The Battle Wagon used on the BBQ Pitmasters Show "Chicken Wang, Chicken Wang, Chicken Wang" NOW lives in O-Town, Floriddy
Stump's Smoker "Baby" (Pretty in Pink)
Stump's Smoker "Tailgater"
Stump's Smoker "Monster" (01/08/2013)
Weber Smokey Joe (Homer Simpson Edition Mini BGE
Bob In Fla. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:43 PM   #3
BBQ NOOB
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob In Fla. View Post
Weber
If I could afford them, I would.

I forgot to mention that I live in Spain, and for some reason, all the Weber BBQ's I've looked at here are insanely expensive.
Hamster-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:49 PM   #4
Saint O'Que
 
Bob In Fla.'s Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: O-Town, Florida
Posts: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster-X View Post
If I could afford them, I would.

I forgot to mention that I live in Spain, and for some reason, all the Weber BBQ's I've looked at here are insanely expensive.
With the others, you'll probably end up paying more in parts and "down time". You get what you pay for.

Weber makes less expensive charcoal grills, and In My Opinion, you get better flavor over charcoal.
__________________
The Battle Wagon used on the BBQ Pitmasters Show "Chicken Wang, Chicken Wang, Chicken Wang" NOW lives in O-Town, Floriddy
Stump's Smoker "Baby" (Pretty in Pink)
Stump's Smoker "Tailgater"
Stump's Smoker "Monster" (01/08/2013)
Weber Smokey Joe (Homer Simpson Edition Mini BGE
Bob In Fla. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:57 PM   #5
BBQ NOOB
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob In Fla. View Post
With the others, you'll probably end up paying more in parts and "down time". You get what you pay for.

Weber makes less expensive charcoal grills, and In My Opinion, you get better flavor over charcoal.
As I mentioned in my first post, charcoal isn't an option unfortunately.
Hamster-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:09 PM   #6
Moderator
 
dledmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 536
I checked out the links. For the Brahma, the slide out "saucers" seem gimmicky. The hot plate on the Manua isn't something I would want on a grill. Being cast iron the plate could take a long time to get properly hot and you could waste a lot of fuel. Also both have ceramic coated grids, the ceramic will eventually crack and break off. I prefer stainless steel or plain cast iron. Avoid the gimmicks, and look for solid construction.
I have a Weber which I have used for almost 15 years now, I am a big fan of
Weber products, maybe look for a gently used one. Also, end of the season sales have good deals but that is a long time to wait. Good luck, feel free to post any other questions and when you do get a grill show us some pics!
dledmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:29 PM   #7
BBQ NOOB
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dledmo View Post
I checked out the links. For the Brahma, the slide out "saucers" seem gimmicky. The hot plate on the Manua isn't something I would want on a grill. Being cast iron the plate could take a long time to get properly hot and you could waste a lot of fuel. Also both have ceramic coated grids, the ceramic will eventually crack and break off. I prefer stainless steel or plain cast iron. Avoid the gimmicks, and look for solid construction.
I have a Weber which I have used for almost 15 years now, I am a big fan of
Weber products, maybe look for a gently used one. Also, end of the season sales have good deals but that is a long time to wait. Good luck, feel free to post any other questions and when you do get a grill show us some pics!
Thanks for the info!

I have the same opinion about those "saucers", but it's not something that bothers me too much, and I believe I would use them every once in a while for smoking chips.

Another one that I though about initially (which I just found out I can get for the same price as the Brahma 2.0) is the Brahma 3.0.

barbecook® gas grill : Brahma 3.0 Inox

The main "upgrade" compared to the 2.0 seems to be that the lid is stainless steel instead of enamelled.

I've looked everywhere for a decent-priced Weber here in Spain, but the biggest problem is that they are not popular here (I wish they were). The cheapest one I found was the "Weber Spirit Original E-210" and it costs more than double the amount of the Brahma 3.0.
Hamster-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:58 PM   #8
Moderator
 
dledmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 536
Does Amazon ship to Spain? Which websites are available for shopping in Spain?
dledmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:55 PM   #9
Moderator
 
bbquzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Newark, OH & Indian River, MI
Posts: 5,011
I feel for you Hamster-X, while Amazon does do Spain, I couldn't find a Weber grill on there, just a few accessories. I don't know that I would do without Weber and Amazon. Wish I could help.
__________________
Buzz Price
• WSM 18.5 • WSM 22.5 • Performers, Black & Green • Q 300 Gasser
• KCBS Certified Judge #53267
bbquzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:08 AM   #10
BBQ NOOB
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 7
Thanks for your comments guys.

Indeed, amazon does do Spain, but like bbquzz said, nothing worthwile (same applies to amazon.co.uk, which also only has some accessories).

I think I will end up getting the Brahma 3.0 (link above). The price is decent (about 420$-ish) and I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with it for a few years. Once I have some more "experience" with all this I'll look for something better.
Hamster-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:50 PM   #11
Max
Wizard of Que
 
Max's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 1,543
Weber if you can find one. I have had a gasser since I was in middle-school that my father purchased. I have not had to do a thing to it. That is until now, have to replace the grates this year. For the money that you think you are going to save, well it really is not worth it. I would save some money up, and get the Weber. Why not charcoal again? We all have neighbors, some can be a$$es at times, but really can't have a charcoal grill. If you are thinking about smoke, if you use the right charcoal, and you know what you are doing there is very little, or no smoke. Hell I use my kettle grill in my garage with the door closed in the winter time, that's how much smoke I get from mine.

If you do wind up with one of the 2 that you mentioned, you are always welcome back here, to show us the food porn you produce.
__________________
Brinkmann Trailmaster Limited
Brinkmann Vertical Charcoal Smoker
Weber Spirit E-320 Propane
Weber One-Touch Silver 22-1/2"
Weber Jumbo Joe 18"
Weber Smokey Joe Gold 14"
Fully Functional UDS 22.5" Dual Layer
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:58 PM   #12
BBQ NOOB
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 7
The biggest problem about charcoal here (Spain) is the law. I live in a building (top floor with a terrace), and technically it's illegal to make any kind of fire inside the building premises (even if it's inside your house). Gas BBQ's kind of "skip" that law.
Hamster-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:47 PM   #13
Max
Wizard of Que
 
Max's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 1,543
Well a charcoal grill is actually smoldering, not technically "on fire"

I would ask my building management, see what they say about it.

My brother-in-law had a similar problem with his smoker, and his build management. They told him that because he had an open flame, that he could not use it on the premisses. When I got a lawyer involved with it contesting that, in fact that there were no actual flame, and that of a gas grill is actually more dangerous because of the high temperature that it can reach that they were being hypocritical about the whole thing. They totaly dropped everything. LoL it's kinda funny, he does not even have his smoker anymore, yet he still has the option to use it. People are so afraid of what they don't know about. I have never really understood that, how people can be so judgmental over something that they have no idea about, or have experienced themselves.
__________________
Brinkmann Trailmaster Limited
Brinkmann Vertical Charcoal Smoker
Weber Spirit E-320 Propane
Weber One-Touch Silver 22-1/2"
Weber Jumbo Joe 18"
Weber Smokey Joe Gold 14"
Fully Functional UDS 22.5" Dual Layer
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:37 AM   #14
BBQ Central Pro
 
boozer's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: omaha ne
Posts: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster-X View Post
The biggest problem about charcoal here (Spain) is the law. I live in a building (top floor with a terrace), and technically it's illegal to make any kind of fire inside the building premises (even if it's inside your house). Gas BBQ's kind of "skip" that law.
"No fire allowed! Unless, of course, that fire is located directly above a cylinder full of highly flammable, pressurized gas!" I know a lot of apartment buildings that have this same rule, but I still don't get it. Grilling prejudice, that's what it is. What gives you the right, gassers, to go where us coal burners can't go, to live where we can't live? We demand equal rights for All outdoor cookers! Even the electric ones!
boozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:46 AM   #15
Moderator
 
dledmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 536
Do the best with what you are allowed, have fun cooking great food and who knows in a few years you could be living some place else with more options. Don't over think it, which is a rarity here, try to get some hands on with the grills you are considering to judge the quality of them then let it rip. Buy one, have some fun with it and show us some pics! Always remember, we do this because we love to do this!
dledmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:50 AM   #16
BBQ NOOB
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dledmo View Post
Do the best with what you are allowed, have fun cooking great food and who knows in a few years you could be living some place else with more options. Don't over think it, which is a rarity here, try to get some hands on with the grills you are considering to judge the quality of them then let it rip. Buy one, have some fun with it and show us some pics! Always remember, we do this because we love to do this!
Thanks. That's exactly what I'm going to do.
Hamster-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:04 AM   #17
Moderator
 
bbquzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Newark, OH & Indian River, MI
Posts: 5,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dledmo View Post
Do the best with what you are allowed, have fun cooking great food and who knows in a few years you could be living some place else with more options. Don't over think it, which is a rarity here, try to get some hands on with the grills you are considering to judge the quality of them then let it rip. Buy one, have some fun with it and show us some pics! Always remember, we do this because we love to do this!
X2
__________________
Buzz Price
• WSM 18.5 • WSM 22.5 • Performers, Black & Green • Q 300 Gasser
• KCBS Certified Judge #53267
bbquzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:51 AM   #18
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
bigwheel's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Foat Wuth
Posts: 9,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster-X View Post
Hi everyone.

I'm kind of new to the scene, and I've never owned a gas bbq before. Being that I live in a city and a charcoal bbq isn't an option for me (neighbours and such), I've been looking into buying a gas one.

Since I'm no expert, and I can't afford to spend a lot of money on it, I've been considering one of these 2 models:

barbecook® gas grill : Brahma 2.0 Ceram

and

Manua 2 gas BBQ from Barbecook - The Barbecue Store

(the second one is also from Barbecook, but it doesn't appear on their website and I can't find another site in english that has the specs)

The Brahma 2.0 is a little bit more expensive, and I kind of like it more, but the reviews I've managed to find were a bit all over the place (most of the complaints seemed to be about the heat not being equal all over the grill).

In short, what should I look for in a cheap-ish/beginners gas BBQ, and do you guys think any of the 2 above are any good?

Any and all help is appreciated.
The key is buy a big old cheap one hopefully without a side burner. Use it till it pukes and go get another. That is how us smart folks does it. They have devolved into being like cars..tv sets..washing machines..etc. cost way more to fix em than to go get another. Best of fortunes. I am fixing to retire old Betsy before the spring thaw. She been a faithful old girl for 15 years or so. Sure hope WW still handles that model..lol. Her little tin roofs over the burners went away about 10 years ago. Not sure when the temp gauge quit working. The automotic lighter zonked out on week one.
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:40 AM   #19
BBQ NOOB
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2
The Brahma 3.0 looks good but I'm also thinking about getting a Weber 67 but I'm a little bit concerned because I want to use it on my terrace at my new condo. Does anybody can recommend one for a terrace I don't want to get beef with my neighbors. You can have a look on what the building looks like on https://sabbiabeachcondos.com/featur...ing-amenities/. Do you think I even can have one there?
Thanks!
woody
__________________

woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off







Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×