Need Advice on smokers>>>>>>>>>>>>

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depends on the purpose of the beastes in question. If you done ruled out the sensible choices of gas and electric as I think you said..you need either a Stumps or BWS (Back Woods Smoker) depending on whether you are closer to Lousiana or Yankeeland so as to save on the shipping. Now this assumes you are serious and got money. If you regular old Joe Shmo type backyard duffer buy a WSM like the man say.

bigwheel

Got mine in August and love it ... just pull the trigger! Click the Amazon link above, search Weber Smokey Mountain and then pick either 18 1/2" or 22". Seems to me you even get free delivery :)

I am far from an expert. I started smoking using my big Brinkmann pro dual zone grill. I would just build the fire on one side and use foil pouches. Not very efficient but once I got a taste of "Real" BBQ I was hooked. Then I was given a El Cheapo Brinkmann R2D2 water smoker. It almost killed me trying to smoke with it. Please dont wast your money on the El Cheapo. Don't get me wrong there are guys that have done a lots of mods to make them work better and love them. I just don't happen to be one of them. Next I was given a 55 gal drum that was on its side / sliced in half / ta' Da' a grill. I had a 25 gal drum welded to the side making a off set smoker. It served me well. I learned a lot using it. Used a lot of wood in the process. But I learned to build and tend a fire, etc. Once it started rusting out I had to start looking around again. Then I stumbled on to this Forum, heard about this UDS thing. Got a 55 gal drum FREE, found a Webber Kettle on the side of the road (Karma). So for the price of some Stainless hardware I have a great smoker. I am still learning how to use it but the learning curve is not that steep.

OK what was the question? Oah Yeah.... If you are handy. look at building a UDS There is something special about q-ing on something you made. I you are not handy you can not go wrong with a WSM. Even great pit masters with $10K competition rigs turn to the WSM for a small smoke or vacation smoker.

The best advice I was given is. "Learn to use what you have"

And be careful, I think pit collecting is contagious. Just one look around here you will see that the majority of the Centralites have more than one pit.

Best of luck and Welcome to the Forum.

DON'T buy a ECB no matter what. Take it from a guy who went threw 5 of them till I got (Dallas) my first WSM and never looked back. Do the math, yea I was stupid spending the cash on those ECBs. I did pick one up one time at a garage sale for five bucks one time.

Pigs

Speaking of WSM got one of the Weber 22 1/2 WSMS still in the box sitting on the floor in the computer room, it was delievered late this after noon!!!!

If you don't want to be cheap, buy a Good-One. They are a great smoker. The WSM is very good too and has a very good price.

Like Keith F said "Learn to use what you have".

Chef,
I am just north of LA CA. I have a homemade offset that needs a little tender love and care. If you want it come and get it. The price it right. $$Free Ninety Free$$
OffSet.JPG

Wow cool pit. I would only charge two hundred to come pick it up and take it to the landfill if you was local. Since it apparently aint in Tejas will also need a bus ticket..per diem etc. Let me know. Thanks.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom