Help with Grill Choice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dms3554

Assistant Cook
I am building an outdoor kitchen. I am equipping it with a MAK 2-Star Pellet Smoker and also with a gas grill with Rotisserie. I have read allot about higher end gas grills and spoken to allot of sales people. Perhaps I am more confused then ever. Some say FireMagic, others DCS is hands down better than FireMagic and negates the need for a searing station since it gets so hot, now I hear allot about Twin Eagles and some tout TEC all infrared. My concern with Twin Eagles which apparently was designed by the same person who designed LINX gas grills, is the ceramic briquette favorizors. My current grill uses them and it never gets hot enough for a steak and also they tend to wear down and require allot of maintenance. Also, the Twin Eagles uses a Stainless Steel U-tube type burner which again has proven in my current grill not to emit very high heat and needs replacement often. I have ruled out TEC because it is not very flexible, although I will have my MAK pellet grill. So, can anyone help guide my choice. I am open if someone has real experience using these grills. It seems to me that the ceramic tubes on the DCS would mimic the glass top for the TEC infrared in that they would get very hot and emulsify drippings and return the smoke back to the meat. Anyway, this has become a very complex choice. My decision is not based on cost, only quality and performance. Thank you.

dms, I had a DCS for about 10 years with the ceramic rods. It worked well. After a lot of use, you will have to buy a new set of rods. The're easy to replace as needed, depending on how dirty you let them get or if some have broken. Parts are readily available. I also learned that they were bought out by Fisher & Paykel and are now made in China. Some have panned this development, others not. I now have a Lynx and must say I really enjoy it and it's a thing of beauty. Their customer support has been great (the original unit uncrated with a damaged cart).
I can sear with the pro-sear then move the steaks over to the briquettes to finish if need be. Also the pro sear is an adjustable infrared.
My only caveat is that I only gas grill a steak when I'm lazy. Usually I build an all-mesquite wood fire in my Weber, let it burn down to coals and let 'er rip. And served with a dollop of my ancho-chipotle butter on top.

In my outdoor kitchen, I built it around my weber gas grill and customized my 22" weber charcoal grill to fit in. Both are easy to replace if need be.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom