Ddog's BBQ Rubs Feedback Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddog27

Sous Chef
Here is the thread for you to leave your feedback on my rubs. Please give me honest feedback as I am thinking of selling my rubs in the future. In your feedback please include which of the rubs you sampled. If you liked it, please let me know! Also include what you liked about it. If you hated it, please let me know. Also let me know what you disliked about it. Thank you guys very much for all your help! :D :( :D

Well I used ddogs apple rub on chicken thighs yesterday. Although it had the right combination of heat and sweet it had an over power taste of paprika. What ever was used for the apple flavor should be increased some because it was hard to detect an apple taste and cut back on the paprika and it will be a good rub.

I tried the original on some ribs.
To me it was the perfect blend of sweet and heat.
It made a great bark.
I think the way it was fine ground really helped it penatrate the meat.

I used the maple on ribs yesterday...wouldn't change anything..Ive got a little left that Im going to try on some thighs this week...

Hey dog, I think the taste is good. Havent tried it on any thing yet due to the catering job this past weekend. I would like to try it with out being so ground. Do you have any?

ddog,

Did two racks of baby backs yesteday using the Apple Rub.

I lightly slathered the ribs with yellow mustard then liberally rubbed them with the apple rub. I placed them in the refrigerator for about 5 hours before cooking.

I added some additional rub just before putting them on the cooker and then cooked them just under 5 hours, at 225-235, using 3 chunks of apple wood. At the 4 1/2 hour mark I sauced 1 rack lightly with a cherry bbq sauce from Traverse City, MI and the left the other naked.

Results were that I had as many people who likd them naked as I did with the sauce. First time user of this sauce and it was really good.

Personal opinion of the rub...would like to have more apple flavor, perhaps not as finely ground. Did produce a very nice color to the ribs and an excellent flavor. I think the "fine ground" issue is personal preference and "mouth feel" more than anything else.

I would purchase this rub in the future if it was for sale and I would also be inclined to try your other rubs.

If I can ever find the cable necessary to transfer pics from my camera to the computer I'll post some pics of the ribs...great looking color.

Great job on the rub!!!!!

:) OOOPs I had already posted this on another thread.
I made some pork chops and used it on them. The wife and youngest son cleaned up their plates!
My 12 year old son said "It has a good balance of sweet and salt"
My daughter said " I like it better than Ketchup"! The ultimate comp from a 15 year old!
I liked it also. I was hoping for a stronger apple flavor also. I will try whats left on something else and report back.

Green Hornet said:
:) OOOPs I had already posted this on another thread.
I made some pork chops and used it on them. The wife and youngest son cleaned up their plates!
My 12 year old son said "It has a good balance of sweet and salt"
My daughter said " I like it better than Ketchup"! The ultimate comp from a 15 year old!
I liked it also. I was hoping for a stronger apple flavor also. I will try whats left on something else and report back.

I think I just found my slogan! D-dog's BBQ rub, it's better than ketchup!! :D :D

Just wanted to thank everyone for trying my rubs and giving feedback. My rub is now at the Co-Packer and will be for sale soon. Thanks for all of your support guys!! :D :D

Back
Top Bottom