Surfin Sapo's Seafood Gumbo Recipe resting place.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surfinsapo

Master Chef
This stuff is so darn good. I could live on it!!!

First you got to make a ROUX

5 minutes

15 minutes constant stirring

30 minutes constant stirring

45 minutes it's dark chocolate ROUX

2 cups of okra in olive oil.

Ingredients: 2 onion, 1 bell pepper,2lbs. shrimp, 1 pint oysters, 1 pint crab claws, vino, S.La hot sauce, Lea & perrins....

Mix it all in

simmer 2 hours

Campbell Farms rice

Rice in bowl with "gumbo file"on it, then da gumbo on dat!!!!!

and of course a video :arrow: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8759195139246323317&hl=en
or
http://coastalbendsurf.com/cookinvideos/

Here's the recipe the best I could write it
Surfin Sapo's Seafood Gumbo Recipe

Roux: ( Dark) I took 1 cup white flour, 1 cup olive oil. Put the oil and flour together in a shallow
frying pan ( thick bottom if you have one), turn the burner to medium/low and start stirring. Don't
ever stop stirring ot you'll mess up the roux and burn it. Just keep stirring until the color gets darker
and darker. It will look like melted chocolate when it is down. Remember, this is only my style. There is
no box!!!! :)

The Gumbo: After the roux is done, I cut the heat and keep stirring until it cools off so it doesn't burn.
I then take Approx: 2 large yellow onions , 1 bell pepper that have been chopped fine and stir them into the roux.
Cook over medium low until onions are translucent ( that word again). Ok set that to the side for a minute now.
Take another pan( the one you'll be making the Gumbo in) and add maybe 3 or 4 tablespoons of olive oil.
Heat to medium and stir in the chopped okra. Cook until the orka until it ceases to rope..( slime is gone).
Ok, add the roux,bell pepper, onion mix to the okra and completely mix up. Allright, now the main seafood
goodies. Add approx: (2 lbs. raw deveined,peeled shrimp),(1 pint of raw oysters), and (1 pint of crab claw meat) or
freashly caught blue crab bodies all cleaned up. Stir again slightly. Pour in Vino - 1 cup of (moscato wine), it's cheap and sweet. You can drink the rest while waiting.. ok, then add 5 cups of water. Stir again. Add 1 or 2 tablespoons of
Worschestire sauce and 1 or 2 teaspoons of Louisiana hot sauce. Put about 4 tablespoons salt. Once it boils,
trun down the heat to simmer and add 1 or 2 cloves of finely chopped garlic...Let it cook for around 2 hours.
Serve on a bed of (long grain) white rice and a few pinches of (Gumbo file), in a good sized bowl... The second
day it tastes even better!!!

I just want to say that you can make it probably make it 1000's of ways. This is the way I like and I got it Cajun tested
and it passed... :)

Enjoy,

Surfin Sapo!

Ps: Yall can order shrimp from this guy in New Iberia, La if you can't find it fresh....
http://www.driedshrimpintl.com/

Back
Top Bottom