Oyster Stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finney

Master Chef
Savannah, GA and Somewhere near Lexington, NC

Southern Living 2/07 - Golden Oyster Stew

Makes 6 servings
Prep: 15 min., Cook: 25 min.

2 T. butter
½ c. chopped onion
½ c. sliced celery
1 (8 oz.) package sliced fresh mushrooms
2 T. all-purpose flour
2 c. milk
1 c. (4 oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 (10 ¾ oz.) can cream of potato soup, undiluted
1 (2 oz.) jar diced pimento, undrained
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
¼ tsp. hot sauce
1 (12 oz.) container standard oysters, undrained

1. Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add onion and celery, and cook, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes or until tender. Add mushrooms, and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Add flour, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.

2. Gradually stir in 2 cups milk; cook, stirring often, 5 minutes or until mixture is thickened and bubbly.

3. Reduce heat to low, and stir in cheese and next 5 ingredients. Cook, stirring often, 3 minutes or until cheese melts and mixture is hot.

4. Add oysters and oyster liquor, and simmer 3 minutes or just until edges of oysters begin to curl. Serve with crackers, if desired.

Note: To make ahead, prepare the stew through Step 3. Freeze the mixture in a large zip-top plastic freezer bag for up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Heat in a Dutch oven over medium-low heat 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Proceed with recipe as directed in Step 4.

As you can see, I added lots of black pepper and Frank's hot sauce to my serving.

Finney you are the man!!! I love oyster stew, but that looks and sounds incredible!!! Good job my lil' buddy!!

Looks good Chris. I love stews & oysters & pigs & cows & &&&&&&........ 8)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom