Old Timer Smoked Crab Cakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Old Timer Rubs

Assistant Cook
Very simple recipe, but a great enjoyable seafood dish.

INGREDIENTS:
1 lb shredded claw crabmeat and 1 lb lump crabmeat, picked through and any bits of shell removed (try not to break up the lumps of crabmeat as you pick through it)

½ stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
¾ cup mayonnaise +/-
½ cup chopped fine onions
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon sugar
2 large eggs
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 ½ Tablespoon Old Timer Garlic Seasoning
2 teaspoon lemon juice
A pinch of cayenne
1 ½ cup Panko bread crumbs

DIRECTIONS:

1 Heat the butter on your grill or smoker covered, this gives a smokey taste to the butter. Heat one tablespoon of butter in a small black iron skillet over the coals. Add the onions and a half teaspoon of salt and sugar. Cook until the shallots are translucent, a couple minutes. Do not brown. Let the onions cool.

2 Whisk together the eggs, remaining half teaspoon of salt, Old Timer Garlic seasonings, freshly ground black pepper, lemon juice, 2 tablespoon buter and the cooked onions. Gently fold in the crabmeat and bread crumbs, taking care again to not break up the lumps of crab meat. The mixture will be wet. Using your (clean) hands take a scoop of the crab mixture and gently form it into a patty form about 2 1/4 inches across and 3/4 inches thick. Continue until you’ve made 12 crab cake patties. Line a rimmed tray with a piece of wax paper just large enough to hold the cakes and sprinkle the bottom of the tray with bread crumbs. Set the crab cakes in one layer on the top of the layer of bread crumbs and sprinkle them with the bread crumbs. Cover the crab cakes loosely with another sheet of wax paper and chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour.

3 Pour the remaining 1 tablespoons of smoked butter on a large black iron flat skillet over the coals. The butter will melt and foam up. Place the crab cakes on the skillet (do not crowd the skillet), and cook until golden brown, about 4 – 6 minutes on each side.

Makes: 10 – 12 crab cakes.

Thanks for the recipe. I just love crab cakes. Guess it must be some old Maryland chromosomes or something. My kin landed in Baltimore when they got off the big boat from Lower Slobovia or whereever it was we came from. I was thinking we was Engrish but now they say we is Irish. I get confused.. My pro cooking DIL from Arkieville introduced us to Panko crumbs quite a while back. Them things can also take butterfly shrimp to heights unknown.

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the suggestion, never thought to use panko crumbs on shrimp. We'll have to try that this week. We've been on a chili and cornbread kick. We have finally refined our Chili Seasoning Mix and Southwestern Cornbread Mix this week and hope to have it on the market in about two weeks.

Well sounds like you a busy entrepreneur type. I am sometimes pressed into service to perform valuable scientific tests on various food stuffs. A food consultant some might say. When I get a free evaluation sample I put it through its paces and repoat back on the results. I do this for only five bucks. Let me know.

Well, we have to try and stay ahead of our competition. We have some great Labor Day "Special Offers" on our website for FREE stuff.

FREE 2OZ. OLD TIMER BBQ RUB TASTER SAMPLER PACK:
Aug. 12th – Sept. 3rd

Just use this Discount Code NW20BZ11 at check out. SEE HERE!

Well that code didnt seem to want to work. Notice it want me to pay shipping and handling. How much is that? Thanks.

Hmmmm. Now I have heard of folks who make a living giving away free stuff and living on the shipping and handling. Surely you aint that type of person? If you want me to do the five buck evaluation it would be good to send it prepaid on the shipping. Otherwise I will have to tack the shipping charges onto the measly five bucks I charge to start with. Let me know. Thanks.

bigwheel said:
Hmmmm. Now I have heard of folks who make a living giving away free stuff and living on the shipping and handling. Surely you aint that type of person? If you want me to do the five buck evaluation it would be good to send it prepaid on the shipping. Otherwise I will have to tack the shipping charges onto the measly five bucks I charge to start with. Let me know. Thanks.

Let me get this straight, You want me to give you $10 to $20 of Free product, pay for the shipping to you and pay you $5 to use our products. OH ME!
Yeap, I've heard of people making money off $1.00 ads and $5 ads. Frieight is what the Post Office or UPS charges. Sorry We don't pay people to use our products.

Good Smoking,
Old Timer

Well ok. It's going to be hard to give a glowing recommendation if I dont have any product to test. Maybe somebody else will buy some and report back..but it most likely be a yankee who dont know whut stuff is supposed to taste like. Could be some drawbacks on that deal.

Well if I was you believe it would be a good idear to go ahead and buy some. I would spring for some of that free pay the postage stuff but the Onyx Visor Card seems to be temporarily maxed out. I'm purty sure it just some kind of compooter glitch or something. I might order some myself when that deal clears itself up. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom