Need help with gator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rag1

Executive Chef
I picked up a piece of Gator fillet and need some help with how to cook it. It's about the size and shape of a brick. I once had a killer dinner in MS of Gator with crawfish sauce. Wow!!!!!!
Any of you coon asses have something to help out a yankee cooking cajun? I can get crawfish tails and would like to make a sauce out of them for the Gator.

Jeeeez, when I read "need help with gator" I had something all together different in mind. I was about to suggest a large caliber firearm.

Well gator is about like frog legs in that like the old gray headed black gentleman say as we was sippin whiskey and fishing on the creek bank. I say to him...Do you like frog legs? He say no sir Cap'n..seems like the mo I chews it the mo bigga it gets:) I would give it to the neighbors. Just thinking out loud here.

bigwheel

[seems like the mo I chews it the mo bigga it gets:) bigwheel[/quote]

I'm talking about Gator meat here !!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :LOL: :LOL:

Rag said:
007bond-jb said:

I like the roux base and other ingredients, JB. I would like to see more spices like thyme, basil, oregano, etc. I may check my Prudholme books too. Think I'll chuck some tails in too. Thanks.

Where's Ronbeaux on this?

By all means add what you like, But be fore warned Bay leaf & parsly have a strong flavor. If you add too many other spices you could screw it up. I would substatute bay & parsly for the thyme, basil, oregano. Certain spices work against each other, some complement the other
Just my 2 cents.
PM Buffarillo he live in the swamp or can see it out his picture window :)

Me too. All of it I have bumped into has been sorta springy and chewy :oops:

bigwheel

Rag said:
[seems like the mo I chews it the mo bigga it gets:) bigwheel

I'm talking about Gator meat here !!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :LOL: :LOL:[/quote]

Had my Gator Sunday night and it was awesome.
Made a sauce piquant. Peanut butter colored roux, then added chopped pepper, celery, onion, parsley, garlic and chives. Then after cooking a bit added tomatoes, tomato sauce and water. I through in some leftover sauteed mushrooms.
Added thyme, basil, chipotle powder, mace, cloves, S&P, pound of crawfish tails, Chile powder and lemon juice. There is where I screwed up....too much lemon juice...the taste was tart and a little bitter (harsh). It didn't have the Cajun flavor I was looking for. Added sugar till the lemon effect was knocked down, then added a bunch of cajun spice blend from Emeril recipe and a found jar of Penzeys Cajun spice ( a ton of it.

The Gator fillet was sliced 3/8" thick, breaded and sauteed in butter. It turned out to be SUPER tender and tasty. The cooked down sauce piquant had way out there boldness, but was perfect with the Gator. Fresh coleslaw with a Lager finished it off perfect.

http://usera.imagecave.com/Rag/Gator/

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom