Smoked stuffed pork loin with sour kraut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LoweJ82

Assistant Cook
Mom used to make some pork chops cooked in sour kraut. Got me thinking about stuffing a pork loin with sour kraut & smoking it.

Anyone had the chops or tried it with the loin?

Na our family pretty much came from IL & KY

Let me know how it turns out, if this weekend isn't a scorcher I may try it.

I will. My family Is bohunk, they put saurkraut into every thing that they cant make beer or bread out of. Gonna cook this tomorrow.

I gave the sauerkraut stuffed pork loin a shot, It was amazing. I went with traditional Bohemian/Czech seasonings for this; caraway, dill, mustard seed, s&p. I had to call my grandma for this, when I told her I was going to smoke it, her exact words were "Well it's gonna taste like shit then. I don't understand you boys and your caveman food. The good lord blessed us with ovens, and you kids wanna cook food on a campfire instead..." There was a lot more after that but for brevity we will just say she didn't like the idea. After seasoning inside and out, I stuffed the loin with kraut and chopped onions. Put it on the smoker with mulberry wood for a couple hours, then half-wrapped it in a foil boat with half a glass of homebrewed bohemian pilsner and butter to finish to 160*. then I made some bohunk gravy, dumplings, and hobo-pack brussel sprouts. Paired with more pilsner. My wife said it was better than grandma's. Maybe, It was pretty good, the kraut flavor really cooked into the meat, and gave it a really nice sweet and sour flavor.

Attachments

• 20130904163101.jpg
    20130904163101.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 403
  • 20130904182907.jpg
    20130904182907.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 392
  • 20130904193253.jpg
    20130904193253.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 404
Awesome ! I've been talking about this all day and people been looking at me like I'm crazy.

I don't think it's crazy at all. Roast pork with sauerkraut and dumplings is a very common east-european meal. generally the kraut is served on the side with bacon, and the pork is usually a butt and/or picnic shoulder. but I think this was a great american bbq take on an old timey bohunk dish, and it turned out great. A few days ago I posted a thread here looking for some new ways to cook a pork loin. Well, I got that, and then some!

I was wondering if it would have the same effect with a bigger piece of meat like it does a chop.
Glad I could bring up something for you to run with ideal wise, I'm sure it's been done before however the thought just randomly popped in my head.

Yea, as long as the heat doesn't get to extreme I'm gonna try and do it sunday

Back
Top Bottom