Pullin The Pork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bknox

Head Chef
Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my f
Here is what I am going to do. I have a well rubbed 5 or so pound bone in pork butt. I am going to smoke it on my pit until perfect and let it rest for about 20 minutes. Then I will pull the bone out, take a fork and pull it apart. In the bowl I will slowly mix in a vinegar based bbq sauce I made yesterday.

Vinegar BBQ Sauce (not sure if it has a proper name. In all respects they call it bbq sauce in Carolina):

1 Cup white vinegar
1 Cup cider vinegar
1/2 Cup packed brown sugar maybe more
1 Teaspoon cayenne pepper maybe less
1 Tablespoon red pepper flakes
1 Teaspoons salt
1 Teaspoon black pepper

This will be served on a big bun, possibly a kaiser roll, covered with cole slaw and topped off with home made sweet pickles. I can not wait! [smilie=a_bravo.gif]

No, You will not use a fork to pull pork.
Get gloves or wash yer hands and pull the pork. If it's a piece ypu would not put in yer mouth throw away.

Butt done right will render most fat and stuff out but not all. CArolina Pulled Pork is loving who will eat the pork.

Pork on man!

Betta start off pulling the bone. Thataway you know it done afore you start doing the other stuff.

bigwheel

I am not going to make excuses as I feel the pulled pork was excellent. Maybe not as excellent as next time but excellent all the same. Just so you know, it cooked a bit fast and was not as tender as hoped.

I ended up making a tomato based sauce as well. Below are both of them.

sauces.jpg

Here is the pork butt, rubbed
porkbutt_Rubbed.jpg

On the grill and ready for smoking and cooking
PorkButtOnGrill.jpg

DONE! but not as slow as I would have liked. Emma was going to dive in.
Butt_DonewEmma.jpg

Dinner is served with homemade cole slaw and sweet pickles
Dinner.jpg

Here is a close up of the sandwich, I prefer the vinegar based sauce with pulled pork but love them both. I took this the day after. I forgot to take a picture when we were building sandwiches and eating.
PulledPork_sandwich.jpg

There you go! I may have converted 2 more Chicagoans towards another Southern delicacy. I have cooked pork butt a time or two in the oven but the smoked butt is much better and I thought the sandwiches came out nicely. Practice will make perfect. Thanks to everyone who has guided me with my new pit and BBQ toys!

Enjoy,
Bryan

Back
Top Bottom