Newbie to pork with a question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allisonandrews

Senior Cook
Hello!

We normally just do a brisket, but this year I was thinking about trying to do some pulled pork (I think this means I buy a pork butt). I was wondering if anyone ever cooked theirs with it sitting in a roasting pan instead of directly on the cooking grates?

As far as brisket goes, my family is on the odd side and does not like the bark. We also probably like ours 'overcooked' according to some people. We prefer ours to be falling apart tender instead of sliceable. My favorite way to eat mine is on top of a baked potato! When we do our brisket, we cook it fat side up in a roasting pan and it is covered with foil most of the time. We baste it often.

Because of how we like our brisket, I was wondering about setting the pork in a roasting pan so that we could collect all the juices and use them as a baste. Does anyone ever cook this way?

Thanks for any advice!!

Allison,
Yes you can cook a pork butt in a roasting pan. Ed (Kick Ass BBQ) cooks everything in pans and he sure turns out some good looking Q.

Letting it cook in its drippings seems to change the taste, kind of a 'baked pork chop' taste if you know what I mean. That taste is not my thing for pulled pork. Not like doing so would RUIN it though ... so given you like the technique with brisket I'd give it a shot.

:idea: You could just put something under the rack to collect the drippings instead.

DISCLAIMER: I don't foil my butts for cooking either (though I do for resting), but I wouldn't do brisket in a pan either and when I've done chuck rolls I POKE HOLES in the foil for drainage :grin: .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom