Cuban Style Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick Prochilo

Chef Extraordinaire
I got this recipe a while back off the foodnetwork. It's one from Rachel Ray that I modified. Here is the modified version.

Pork Tenderloins, Cuban Style
1 package pork tenderloin, 2 pieces, the average weight of 1 package, trimmed (1 2/3 to 2)
Extra virgin olive oil or vegetable oil, for drizzling
1 small onion, minced
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 limes, zested
1 large orange, zested
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Cuban sweet rolls:
8 crusty rolls, such as Portuguese rolls, torpedo loaves or muffuletta style round rolls
4 teaspoons sugar
Relish for sandwiches:
6 dill pickles, chopped
1/2 cup sweet red pepper relish
2 scallions, chopped
Sandwich fixins:
1 pound shaved ham, from the deli counter
1 pound shaved Swiss cheese, from the deli counter
4 tablespoons butter, for toasting sandwiches

1.Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

2.Coat tenderloins with oil. Combine onion, garlic, citrus zest, salt, pepper and dried oregano in a pile on your cutting board. Pack this coating equally and evenly onto the tenderloins. Heat a large skillet. Add a drizzle of oil and sear tenderloin on all sides. Then place in hot oven to roast 20 to 25 minutes.

3.Brush rolls with a little warm water and sprinkle the tops of the rolls with 1/2 teaspoon sugar each. Pile rolls on a baking sheet and place in oven with meat for 5 minutes to crust rolls and set sugar. Authentic Cuban rolls used for this sandwich are sweet. This sugar wash process gives a similar effect to store bought rolls. When rolls come out of oven, split and pile on serving plate.

4.Preheat a stovetop griddle over medium high heat.

5.Combine chopped pickles, sweet red pepper relish and scallions in a small bowl.

6.Spread the relish on the tops of the rolls and pork slices, ham, and swiss cheese on the bottoms. Press the sandwiches together. Put about 1 tablespoon of butter on the hot griddle and spread to coat. Put 2 sandwiches at a time on the griddle, and top with a heavy cast-iron skillet. Toast sandwiches on the griddle, turning once, until golden, hot, and cheese is melted, 2 or 3 minutes per side.

This is excellent

I have made this! It is a Pressed Cuban and an excellent sandwich. I think we may have added extra condiments like roasterd red pepper, as we had some from the day before.

Also if I remember we used a pork loin that was also from the day before. Either way the basics are the same. Try smoked pork loin but marinate it in 2 parts orange juice and 1 part lime juice with a finely chopped habenaro pepper and a bit of salt.

Thanks for the recipe, I had forgotten about it. Now I may make it this weekend.

Take care,
Bryan

Yumm I Loves Cubano sammys. How bout the fried plantains side BOY. Don't ya know there are many varitions of a Cubano sand. some of the best can be found in Miami Fla. I think one of the key ingredants is real cuban bread, like french bread but a little sweet tastin then pressed with all the good stuff inside... ;)

Back
Top Bottom